cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections Account Sold - Impact to Credit Score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections Account Sold - Impact to Credit Score?

There is a collections account on my credit report that was just sold. I paid this years ago and it is currently in dispute. If this is an old collections account that was sold to another CA, will it impact my score? I am currently under contract to buy a home and very nervous about the impact to my score. The collections amount is $54. 

4 REPLIES 4
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Collections Account Sold - Impact to Credit Score?

Yes, it could impact your score negatively if it reports. It will be like receiving a new one. I would reach out to whomever bought it and provide them proof it was paid.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Brian. I did reach out to let them know this was paid, and they said they would investigate. They've reported it to Experian, I received an alert about it. Do you know whether this could ruin my chances of securing a mortgage? Or just impact my score and my rate? Or could it do both?

My score is 720 - Experian, 711 - Transunion, 707 - Equifax. 

Message 3 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks Brian. I did reach out to let them know this was paid, and they said they would investigate. They've reported it to Experian, I received an alert about it. Do you know whether this could ruin my chances of securing a mortgage? Or just impact my score and my rate? Or could it do both?

My score is 720 - Experian, 711 - Transunion, 707 - Equifax. 

Sort it, your problem is that any account in dispute will derail the mortgage full stop.  This is bad timing all around as any action instigated with you to bureau will trigger a dispute.

Do you know what your scores were before the collection hit?  If the scores are basically the same (if other CAs or issues are on the account) I'd be tempted to just go with the mortgage app and ignore it for now and then sort it afterwards.  If it's the only one and that would materially affect, I don't know what the right approach would be as now we're talking material financial impact and therefore damages.  Also depends when you are planning to pull the trigger on a home, if it's still a few months out you probably have time to resolve any dispute, if it's a month or less you don't.

Have your paperwork around the payment though, both for a mortgage app and also if you wind up having to fight this.

Post over on Rebuilding Your Credit though about addressing it, you'll get better information over there explicitly around fighting it.

        
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

There is a collections account on my credit report that was just sold. I paid this years ago and it is currently in dispute. If this is an old collections account that was sold to another CA, will it impact my score? I am currently under contract to buy a home and very nervous about the impact to my score. The collections amount is $54. 

@Anonymous methinks I might send a cease-and-desist letter stating remove or risk damages and attach proof of payment. This might work out to your benefit if it was there before, now you might end up with a clean report, at least as far as that account is concerned.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.