cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about the 'key factors' comments that's associated with my credit pulls.

tag
FixItYesterday

Confused about the 'key factors' comments that's associated with my credit pulls.

I applied for an additional credit card through USAA,  I was approved, and was then given my credit score and comments as follows:

Your credit score:  716

Source: Equifax   Date:  05-11-2013

Key factors that adversely affected your credit score.

*Serious Delinquency

*Time since Delinquency is too recent or unknown.

However,  my credit report is completely clean without any thing negative.  

Questions: 

Who provided the score to USAA or was it internally generated?  When it says source:equifax; does this mean that equifax provided the score or just that the credit report the score is based on was from equifax?

Where do the comments come from?  I'm getting agitated that the comments keep coming up with incorrect information.  This isn't the first application that had this erroneous information in the credit score comments section.  

Please help my understand,

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Confused about the 'key factors' comments that's associated with my credit pulls.

Do you have any paid baddies reporting, like old charge-offs?

Do you have any old accounts with a 90-day late reporting?

Do you have any account that says "settled" or "settlement" or "paid for less than full" reporting?

All of this would be from EQ. I'm fairly sure USAA pulls an EQ FICO but I'm not sure which version(s) they use.

Have you you pulled your EQ FICO report on here?

Message 2 of 8
FixItYesterday

Re: Confused about the 'key factors' comments that's associated with my credit pulls.

No baddies, no lates, no account that says "settled", "settlement", or "paid for less than full" -- absolutely clean report.  I've gone over my equifax mailed report, I've called equifax and had them scour my report for anything negative and they say it's completely clean.

I haven't ordered from myFICO, but I do have equifax advantage.  Should I still get a EQ FICO report?

Also, it's weird, but on my CreditCheck Monitoring through USAA, for both Equifax and TransUnion, it shows no negatives; however, under the score report it says:

"Missing payments is the most damaging thing you can do to your credit. The purpose of a credit score is to help lenders predict whether or not you will miss payments in the future, so even a single missed payment can significantly lower your score"

I've looked over every account on Transunion too, and can find no negative, no late payment.  I called them also and they said they couldn't see anything negative.

This has gone on for 2 years and is very frustrating.   

Can an account have a late payment attached that doesn't show on the report?

Message 3 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

IMO, ignore any scores and scoring advice on Equifax Advantage, though the report info isn't bad. That service uses a FAKO and not a FICO. Same to USAA. I mention this because some make the assumption that a negative comment on these services would be the same on myFICO, which isn't the case much of the time. 

Get a report from myFICO if you wanted to dig deeper into this. It'll be the same as your other CMSs except that it'll show a FICO, will tell you the top negative and positive scoring reasons, and will show exactly what accounts are viewed as a negative by FICO. The latter might help you. 

As far as lates reporting, these services, including on myFICO, only show the last 2 years of activity. If you pull your free reports from annualcreditreport.com it'll show the full 7-years.

Message 4 of 8
FixItYesterday

I'll get a score from myFICO in the morning. For some reason I couldn't get past the identification check and need to call tomorrow. 

I got my credit report from annualcreditreport.com and looked over every account very carefully and couldn't find any late payment.  All accounts list last deragatory as N/A. 

I'm hoping the myFICO score will clear up which account is screwy.  I really think there is stuff attached to our credit report that we don't see.  I'm going to get loaded for bear if this doesn't get resolved soon.  

Message 5 of 8
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@FixItYesterday wrote:
No baddies, no lates, no account that says "settled", "settlement", or "paid for less than full" -- absolutely clean report.  I've gone over my equifax mailed report, I've called equifax and had them scour my report for anything negative and they say it's completely clean.

I haven't ordered from myFICO, but I do have equifax advantage.  Should I still get a EQ FICO report?

Also, it's weird, but on my CreditCheck Monitoring through USAA, for both Equifax and TransUnion, it shows no negatives; however, under the score report it says:

"Missing payments is the most damaging thing you can do to your credit. The purpose of a credit score is to help lenders predict whether or not you will miss payments in the future, so even a single missed payment can significantly lower your score"

I've looked over every account on Transunion too, and can find no negative, no late payment.  I called them also and they said they couldn't see anything negative.

This has gone on for 2 years and is very frustrating.   

Can an account have a late payment attached that doesn't show on the report?

This is not unique to YOU.  It's simply a statement of advice about what can impact your report.  Why they do this is beyond my comprehension, especially when one has an absolutely pristine report.  Same with the orginal statement in your post.  I guess EQ  thinks they must allude to something negative on a report, so they just throw in these little tidbits. 

I have that pristine report, no collections, no baddies, nada.  And I sometimes I get bizarre notes and messages on my report.  Since they don't apply to me and my report, I simply ignore them.

EDIT:  UNLESS...somehow they looking waaaaaay back in one's history and making such statements in a historical perspective.  Back 20 + years ago, I was young(er) and foolish!

Message 6 of 8
FixItYesterday

IMPORTANT

This is crazy -- I just got done talking to TransUnion on the phone,  I had some duplicate student loan accounts that were reporting an incorrect open date that were dragging down my AAofA.  I had disputed the open dates, and as I expected, the accounts were just deleted instead of the dates changed which was fine.  My AAofA went from 8.6 to 10 years.   

Anyway, the important part is I was talking to her about the erroneous deragatory statement attatched to my credit score and she said that now that those duplicate loans were deleted, she could see that one of the accounts had a late payment attached to it a really long time ago.   (I've never been late)   WHAT????   I've called several times over the last two years and had them look for any late payment information.   I scoured my paper credit report and online report from multitude of places with no deragatory or late payment showing on any of them.  

And she said that my score was now 130 points higher!!!   Some of that can be attributed to the higher AAoA, but a large portion was getting rid of that 'secret' late payment. 

I pulled a new CreditCheck monitoring report from USAA and sure enough that "missing payments" statement under the TU FAKO score is gone and my score went up from 650 to 770.    

How the hell can you fix incorrect information on your report, if it's not on your freaking report?       Now I've gotta get equifax fixed.

Message 7 of 8
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: IMPORTANT

@FixItYesterday wrote:

This is crazy -- I just got done talking to TransUnion on the phone,  I had some duplicate student loan accounts that were reporting an incorrect open date that were dragging down my AAofA.  I had disputed the open dates, and as I expected, the accounts were just deleted instead of the dates changed which was fine.  My AAofA went from 8.6 to 10 years.   

Anyway, the important part is I was talking to her about the erroneous deragatory statement attatched to my credit score and she said that now that those duplicate loans were deleted, she could see that one of the accounts had a late payment attached to it a really long time ago.   (I've never been late)   WHAT????   I've called several times over the last two years and had them look for any late payment information.   I scoured my paper credit report and online report from multitude of places with no deragatory or late payment showing on any of them.  

And she said that my score was now 130 points higher!!!   Some of that can be attributed to the higher AAoA, but a large portion was getting rid of that 'secret' late payment. 

I pulled a new CreditCheck monitoring report from USAA and sure enough that "missing payments" statement under the TU FAKO score is gone and my score went up from 650 to 770.    

How the hell can you fix incorrect information on your report, if it's not on your freaking report?       Now I've gotta get equifax fixed.

I have that pristine report, no collections, no baddies, nada.  And I sometimes I get bizarre notes and messages on my report.  Since they don't apply to me and my report, I simply ignore them.

EDIT:  UNLESS...somehow they looking waaaaaay back in one's history and making such statements in a historical perspective Back 20 + years ago, I was young(er) and foolish!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.