Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusion on different scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confusion on different scores

I have been looking at the different mortgage scores and mine are about 30-40 points lower than the fico score 8. Age of credit 5 years. Low utilization. Student loan with on time payments.
I have one medical collection below 100 dollars from 2 years ago and a 30 day late payment from 5 years ago. My mortgage scores are yet in 700-730 range. Does this look right? I am lost on ways to have these improve or to even know if a 30-40 score difference between fico 8 and mortgage scores is correct?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Confusion on different scores

Welcome to the forum!

It all depends but if you want to increase your mortgage scores try AZEO. Have only one account report a balance, a small balance under $20 and have all other accounts report zero.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to this so not sure what clean/dirty means.. But 2 derogatory events - 1 medical collection @$99 from 2 years ago, 1 30 day late payment from 5 years ago.. Open accounts 12 (11 revolving, 1 student loan), Closed 3 (1 cc, 2 student loans). Last new account was 2 years ago. Other than the 2 derogatories, everything is on time. Age of oldest account - 5-6 years
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Missed from the message above - Below 6% utilization across all credit cards.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Version 8 counts utilization more heavily. The mortgage scores count number of accounts with a balance more heavily.

So, if you want to increase your mortgage scores you need to only have one account report a balance.

Yes you are on a dirty scorecard because of that collection. Clean means you have no derogatory marks. Dirty means you have derogatory remarks. Actually you can stay on a clean card with 1 30 day late. I think a second one banishes you to a dirty card, but I won’t swear to it. Anything worse than a 30 day definitely makes you dirty.

You need to get that collection off of your record. You will then be reassigned to a clean scorecard on the mortgage scores because you only have one 30 day late. To do that, you need to try the pay for delete PFD technique.

Lucky for you since the collection is under $100 it doesn’t count against you on version 8. Once it’s paid, it will not count against you on version 9. But you still need to get rid of it, because it’s going to affect the mortgage scores as long as it’s on your report.

I don’t know who has your collection, but if you make that information available, a member may have experience with it and be able to give you further guidance, but either way you need to make a deal with them to pay it in order for it to be deleted from your credit reports. Then you’ll see your mortgage scores go up, especially if you practice a AZEO, only allowing one small balance to report.

If you are planning a mortgage anytime soon remember you need to have 12 months clean without any new accounts or hard inquiries preceding the app.

Your aggregate utilization is fine. Keep it under 8.9%. Individual utilization on each card should be kept below 28.9%.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

By the way, try to keep that loan open as long as you can. Once it goes below 8.9% B/L you will get a nice boost. If you could pay it below that percentage and leave it open forever, you would be great.

Meanwhile, when you clear up that collection that could be good for 20 or 30 points on your mortgage scores and it will increase your version 9, as well.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I think those mortgage scores are quite good. From what I've read, anything above 680 is considered a good score.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 of the bureaus don’t show the collection but scores are still around 700 or so.

Thanks @birdman7 on the paying down balances bit - does that include student loan as well or just the revolving accounts?

Thanks for the help!
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rts8967 Loans don't really give you the big points until B/L is under 8.9%. That's the magic number, and if you have more than one loan its aggregate installment utilization that matters, not individual.

Revolving utilization has many breakpoints, individual and aggregate and your scores are much more responsive to revolving utilization. The thresholds for revolving are 8.9, 28.9, 48.9, 68.9, 88.9, and 100+, with those being aggregate and individual being the same but skipping the first breakpoint. So, ideal for revolving is under 8.9% aggregate and under 28.9% individual.

Thats the basics. Some scorecards (thin or young) have an additional breakpoint at 4% ag and another has been theorized.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are very welcome and glad to have you in the forums. I think you'll see a nice boost upon AZEO, but to maximize, you gotta get rid of the 30 date late. Try a goodwill campaign. And of course getting rid of the collection will help at that CRA.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.