Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma is a joke

tag
A_Noob
Contributor

Credit Karma is a joke

If it weren't for the free credit monitoring portion of it, I would probably never use their site. Their FAKO algorithm is horrible. It always shows a good 30+ point gap between their score and any legitimate score. I have 1 inquiry on my TU from October 2013 and I added another inquiry last night and it gave me a nice score drop in each of their different categories. They even dropped my score when an inquiry that was well over a year old showed a slight company name change.

My Fico EQ: 749
My Fico TU: 754
My Fico EX: 753

Goal: 800
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Karma is a joke

@A_Noob wrote:

If it weren't for the free credit monitoring portion of it, I would probably never use their site. Their FAKO algorithm is horrible. It always shows a good 30+ point gap between their score and any legitimate score. I have 1 inquiry on my TU from October 2013 and I added another inquiry last night and it gave me a nice score drop in each of their different categories. They even dropped my score when an inquiry that was well over a year old showed a slight company name change.

Well it is an fako , and yeah its only real use is for credit monitoring. It does that job adequetly. My CK fako and TU08 differ an lot more than yours :-). Its an 60 points different lol. 

When walmart changed names was kind of weird i had an HP then the HP was deleted. Maybe that is what will happen with you?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 8
A_Noob
Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@A_Noob wrote:

Well it is an fako , and yeah its only real use is for credit monitoring. It does that job adequetly. My CK fako and TU08 differ an lot more than yours :-). Its an 60 points different lol. 

When walmart changed names was kind of weird i had an HP then the HP was deleted. Maybe that is what will happen with you?

That does look like what happened but it still caused my score with them to drop a few points and not come back.

Message 3 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@A_Noob wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@A_Noob wrote:

That does look like what happened but it still caused my score with them to drop a few points and not come back.

I am not sure, if you want to be sure nothing happened. You can compare and see if any of your TU08 scores fluctuated ? I just wouldn't take CK too seriously score wise. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 8
A_Noob
Contributor

That was last week and it looks like my TU score has substantially improved since my last pull. It was 692 the last time I checked on here (which I think was before the TU update here) and BofA did a HP yesterday for a secured card graduation and CLI and it was 720, although I'm not sure which TU model they used.

Message 5 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Free credit monitoring doesn't suck.  Not even close.

Any service is going to have deficiencies, and the scores are free so *shrug*; the ones I really hate are the paid services which still give you an educational / FAKO score, now that's no bueno in my book.

        
Message 6 of 8
A_Noob
Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Any service is going to have deficiencies, and the scores are free so *shrug*; the ones I really hate are the paid services which still give you an educational / FAKO score, now that's no bueno in my book.

Their credit monitoring is great; Their scoring model, not so much. I know what you mean about the paid service FAKO. I got fooled by Equifax once by purchasing their "Credit Score" instead of the "FICO Score" because just purchasing the FICO Score does not show up as an option on their mobile page and I was none the wiser.

Message 7 of 8
EW800
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

+1  !!!!

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.