cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score Went up 4 Points After CC Approval

tag
Regular Contributor

Credit Score Went up 4 Points After CC Approval

Is this really strange? I already have a great credit score to start off with. I had 0 inquiries prior to this CC acceptance.

American Express Blue Cash Every | Discover it | Citi Double Cash | Citi Custom Cash (10/2021) | Bank of America Cash Rewards | Chase Slate | Capital One Quicksilver | Amazon Store Card | PayPal Credit | J. Crew | Old Navy | Experian: 785 Equifax: 798 Transunion: 777 |
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Score Went up 4 Points After CC Approval

@10022016 wrote:

Is this really strange? I already have a great credit score to start off with. I had 0 inquiries prior to this CC acceptance.

It sounds more like a little bit of aging on the accounts.  Inquiries don't cause score gains.  If you had 0 inquiries on your reports, I am going to assume that you haven't had a new account for quite some time.  If that is the case, you will see a score drop when it hits your reports.

What service are you using to monitor your scores?  Some alerts can be a bit misleading depending on what you're using.

Message 2 of 6
Regular Contributor

Using Experian website. The moment I gave them the one time pin for locked credit report it immediately reported to the credit bureau and score went up. Everything happened in real time.

American Express Blue Cash Every | Discover it | Citi Double Cash | Citi Custom Cash (10/2021) | Bank of America Cash Rewards | Chase Slate | Capital One Quicksilver | Amazon Store Card | PayPal Credit | J. Crew | Old Navy | Experian: 785 Equifax: 798 Transunion: 777 |
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@10022016 wrote:

Using Experian website. The moment I gave them the one time pin for locked credit report it immediately reported to the credit bureau and score went up. Everything happened in real time.

So the Experian report shows the new inquiry and the new card account as well?

I also have Experian CreditWorks Premium, so I'm very familiar with how fast they update from normal statement closings.

Message 4 of 6
Regular Contributor

Just the hard inquiry by the new creditor.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@10022016 wrote:

Just the hard inquiry by the new creditor.

Ok, so what might have happened is that you got some points from aging on the 1st - this has happened to me a lot over the past 8 months.

For example, when my Age of Youngest Account reached 3 months, I got +23pts on EX FICO 8.

You may have received +9 points on the 1st, but an inquiry at -5 points made it a net gain of +4 points.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.