Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score and Mortgage Woes

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Score and Mortgage Woes

Well I found out I have my first kid on the way, and I decided I needed to do some maturing in all areas, especially financially.   I am fixing to buy another house after renting for the past 2 years, and decided to check the old credit score.  My jaw dropped.  EQ - 666, and TC was around a 630 avg.  How could this be last time I checked it was a 720.  I had bought to many toys and I knew my DTI was going to be off, and I also found 2 30 day lates in the past 2 years. 

Started reading and this what I have done so far.

30 day on loan - Was my Credit Unions fault, they said they would take it off, but go ahead and dispute it with all 3 also. - DONE.

30 day on CC - My screw up sent GW to Credit Union, and to Cardmember service. - Fingers crossed

Recreational Loan with 18K outstanding - Sold boat, and paid off.

Bank Loan - $500 balance - Paid Off.

Now my CC situation makes me cringe, and it takes a lot to admit what I have done.

Here are my Stats, and what I am fixing to make payments on this week.  I have already payed of the HSBC, and BestBuy, but did not cancel the accts.

Does the Following look like a good payment plan, anything I should tweak?  I will continue to work balances down, but this is what I have to work with for now. 

Balance      CL       To Pay   Balance    UTIL %
HSBC          700         1500        700             0               0%
B Buy          2700        3000       2700            0              0%
Discover     4240        5000       3550          690         14%
AMEX        3024        4000       2800          224          6%
HEFCU        3617        5000       2900          717           14%
BOA            7712        9000       7000          712           8%
Wells F      4777        5000       4100           677            14%
Total    $26,770     $32,500    $23,750   $3,020        9%

With all this done, do you have any guess as to what I may get my CS back up to?

I know it will take a while, and with all I paid off, i need time to build a new down payment anyways.  I cant see how paying down the debt, vs. throwing more down on a house just to get approved could be a bad Idea. 

I cant believe how much I have learned reading posts here,  Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Score and Mortgage Woes

Ouch- 26K

Get this down to 3 accounts as soon as you can ...
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

get it to 3 accts?!?!?!!?!

i thought it was best to keep accounts open that have been open the longest.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
get it to 3 accts?!?!?!!?!
i thought it was best to keep accounts open that have been open the longest.

3 accts with Balances.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I got one of the 30 days dropped, didnt really jump my score up a whole lot.

The 18K loan finally showed pay off on TU, and that brought that score to 650.

I ended up paying  a bit more on my CC's than I first planned.  Payed off all but 4, and got there balances under 10%. 

I am really hoping to see a good jump in my score.

Thanks,
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.