Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit karma just cracks me up

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Credit karma just cracks me up

Now yes I know the are FAKE scores and all and I do like it for monitoring of course, but today I got a recommendation email they think the Fingerhut card would be a good addition for my credit fileSmiley LOLSmiley Very Happy I swear that site cracks me up.

Also I set up my daugter to CK so I can monitor the disputes I have ongoing, TU already deleted in a day HOWEVER it still appears on CK while I received notice from TU that is has been deleted. while EQ and EXP are taking the good old sweet time, anyhow after the TU deletion I bought her score 701, CK has it at 648. Just thought I would throw that out thereSmiley Happy

Does CK have a lagtime with deleting items?? The collection was removed from TU on tues 5/22/18, anyone know?

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit karma just cracks me up

CK doesn't provide "fake" scores.  They provide VS 3.0 scores, which aren't FICO scores.  It doesn't make them fake, it just makes them unmeaningful.

The CC recommendations you get through CK are there simply to help fund CK through advertising.  Nothing more.

Message 2 of 52
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Sorry I will always refer to them as "fake" because they are not actual FICO scoring modelsSmiley Happy

To each his ownSmiley Happy

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand that, which is probably where the term "FAKO" came from. 

It is worth mentioning that VS 3.0 is a "real" scoring model though.  Your TU VS 3.0 score pulled from CK at the same time as one pulled through Credit Sesame, Capital One, or any similar source will be identical, simply meaning that it's a legitimate scoring model in place here producing those scores.

Message 4 of 52
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Very true I see your point, but from what I gather no lenders use this model per say, so it doesn't have much meaning to me.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct.  It's a 100% meaningless score, no doubt.  I just think it's worth noting that it is a "real" score, drawn upon an actual scoring model, as irrelevant as it may be.

Message 6 of 52
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Correct.  It's a 100% meaningless score, no doubt.  I just think it's worth noting that it is a "real" score, drawn upon an actual scoring model, as irrelevant as it may be.

Very true. I think many MyFicoers get that "Fake" description from the numerous "Fico vs. Fako" sticky threads in many forums. I wish they would remove or rename them, I don't think FICO needs to promote itself by denigrating other scoring models, Fico is the scoring model used by 90%+ of lenders, 'nuff said.

And I'm glad Vantage is used by very few lenders, in my opinion it is way too sensitive to new inquires and new accounts. My Amex Everyday card opened in February recently reported the new account with a $3800 balance, 38% of CL. CK Vantage TU  & EQ scores tumbled 13 points, while my Fico scores remained the same. Suck it up Vantage, that ED card has 15 months 0%, I'm going to use it while keeping funds adequate to PIF earning 4-5% interest in savings accounts.

Message 7 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too have noticed that VS 3.0 does seem a bit more sensitive to certain profile changes than FICO models at times.

Message 8 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

My VS3.0 has been mirroring my FICO for the most part, current VS3.0 are TU 804/EQ 804, FICO8 = TU 806/EQ 805.
Message 9 of 52
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My VS3.0 has been mirroring my FICO for the most part, current VS3.0 are TU 804/EQ 804, FICO8 = TU 806/EQ 805.

My VS3.0 & Fico score have never even closely resembled one another. I keep my credit scores (and a bunch of stuff) in a spreadsheet. Feb. 2017 my utilization was 17%, and the accounts included in my 2010 BK7 were still on my credit report. CK VS3.0 scores were 720/728 TU/EQ, while my Fico8 scores were in the 670s. Last Sunday my CK scores were 658/665 with 17% utilization. Now that my IIB accounts are off my CR, my Fico 8 scores are 714/702/722 TU/EX/EQ.

The huge drop in CS3.0 score with the same util ticks me off, but doesn't concern me since they're pretty much useless. Only thing I can attribute to the CS3.0 drop is new accounts, 3 new CC accounts so far in 2018, 4 new CCs in 2017. But I don't obsess with credit scores, I make decisions based on what's best for my personal finances, not what will make Mr. Fico or Ms. Vantage happiest.

Message 10 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.