Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit karma just cracks me up

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit karma just cracks me up

Vantage Scores were developed by the CRA's to compete with FICO and yet they have NOT been readily accepted by the lender community which should say something. 

As far as my profile, I have just under $400k in available revolving credit lines, 24 active cards only 3 "store cards" (Lowes $35k, Amazon $10k, Home Depot $25k) which I use for extended financing and promotional financing only. I at the end of March I refinanced my home to a 3.5% rate and the process was very easy and fast. I also have two auto loans through DCU at 1.74% & 1.99%.

FICO scores are 754, 755 and 774 as of today, VantageScores are 654/654.

While meaningless and fake might be semantics since almost all primary lenders do NOT use VantageScore scores they are irrelevant in either case. While the account tracking of CK and the like have a certain value, to me the scores are "fake" in the sense that its useless information in the lender/borrower world.    

Message 21 of 52
Stugotsv10
Frequent Contributor

This thread prompted me to check all  my Fico's and compare to Vantage side by side.....

Experian is the biggest MESS.

Experian Vantage 11 accounts / oldest card 48 years old

Experian Fico 6 accounts / oldest card 9 years 11 months

???????

I understand some don't report to experian at ALL but how can it be reported to experian Vantage and not Fico?????? Credit is a pure scam is you ask me

Message 22 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Things aren't "reported" to FICO vs VS 3.0.  Data is reported to the bureaus, Experian in this case and the different scoring models use that data (the same data) to generate a score.  I would guess from what you said above that perhaps open vs closed accounts are at play here with the calculations.

Message 23 of 52
Stugotsv10
Frequent Contributor

no 10 of the 11 are open, Fico claiming 6 is BS, its a lie.

I can understand if something is NOT on my experian at all (happens all the time because even that 11, I have far more) but to be on Vantage and not Fico is insane

Message 24 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Stugotsv10 wrote:

no 10 of the 11 are open, Fico claiming 6 is BS, its a lie.

I can understand if something is NOT on my experian at all (happens all the time because even that 11, I have far more) but to be on Vantage and not Fico is insane

Hi Stugotsv10!  Can you help us understand better what tools you are using to pull your scores?  It sounds like you are using one credit monitoring system (CMS) to pull your Vantage score and another to pull your FICO -- and that each may be giving you a "dashboard" that summarizes what it regards as the important issues on the report.

Knowing the name of the specific tool would help us.  Also helpful would be whether the tool gives you the full report as well.

Message 25 of 52
Stugotsv10
Frequent Contributor

Discover for EX Fico and credit.c0m for Vantage EX

Message 26 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Stugotsv10no 10 of the 11 are open, Fico claiming 6 is BS, its a lie.

"FICO" is not claiming anything.  As CGID mentioned above, you are using different credit monitoring software.  It sounds like the software for whatever reason is displaying different data.  This has nothing to do with FICO vs VS 3.0, it has to do with Software X vs Software Y.

Message 27 of 52
Stugotsv10
Frequent Contributor

Makes sense.

So what is the "Master" Vantage to pull to get an accurate report and what is the "master" for Fico?

Message 28 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

As BBS mentions, the CMS will have a "summary" or front-end dashboard that gives on over view of the data on the back end.  The data on the back end is the data in the report, and as long as it is the same bureau drawn at the same time, those data will be the same.

The CMS often comes with a score, but believe it or not you can have two different CMS's that have a different summary dashboard even though the score they give is the same.... FICO 8 Classic (say).

One common explanation of two different CMS's giving very different age data has to do with authorized user (AU) accounts.  The dahsboard of one CMS might ignore AUs and the other might include all of them.  Closed vs. open accounts can be another source of difference.

The right place to start is to pull your EX report at annualcreditreport.com -- that's the gold standard for the report itself.  Then print it out and take a red pen to it (and a blue pen and a green one... as many colors as you like). 

You want to identify which accounts are AUs and which are not, which are closed and which are open, which are your oldest.  You also want to look carefully at each account and make sure the information in it looks basically right.

Message 29 of 52
Stugotsv10
Frequent Contributor

are AU's not good enough on a report? I got a couple

Message 30 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.