Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit limits too much of a good thing?

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Credit limits too much of a good thing?

My balances are now so low that my TU score is only six points higher than my EQ score. That's because my TU total credit limits are far more than those of my EQ.

That raises the question: when are credit limits too much of a good thing? I read that a card is not applied to the utilization ratio if its credit limit is too high? I think it was something like $60,000.

And if the total credit limits are way up there, the CRAs may become nervous that one day you should snap and max out your cards. I wonder at which point that would be. $100,000? A quarter of a million dollars?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit limits too much of a good thing?

CRAs dont become nervous.  They just record what is reported.  They could care less if a CL is $300 or $100,000.

What matters is how FICO scores your util against your credit limits.

I undertand that the FICO algorithms dont score revolving accounts with reported CLs of around $30,000 or more in your % util calculation, but remember that FICO does not directly score CLs.

It only scores your current % util against that CL.  So if you know that % util on an account is not a scoring factor, the CL itself is not hurting you, only that it might not be helping you.  You live with it.

My advice is to worry about your reported % util on each account, not the individual account CL.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.