Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit "Scores" from USAA?

tag
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit "Scores" from USAA?

@Anonymous wrote:
i bought my fico scores here at myfico and the usaa scores are consistently 20 points LOWER than myfico.  i've read about some that are consistently higher, so pay zero attention to the actual score, but the change in score as baddies fall off or balances decrease just might be proportional and will give an indication of whether you're helping your score and how much.

my USAA scores are 634 across the board.

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

i'm copying this from another post i just made, but it's even more relevant here...

fwiw, i use the USAA credit check monitoring service because i get daily pulls for a fair monthly price.  i bought my fico scores here at myfico and the usaa scores are consistently 20 points LOWER than myfico.  i've read about some that are consistently higher, so pay zero attention to the actual score, but the change in score as baddies fall off or balances decrease just might be proportional and will give an indication of whether you're helping your score and how much.

i like the daily pulls since i'm actively working on my balances and waiting impatiently for some disputes to be acted upon.  it's also nice knowing exactly which day each CC reports to the CRAs.

just a correction.. i don't want the bad info floating around for users to search and read.  the red text above is incorrect.  

there is no real correlation between the 'fico' and usaa 'experian plus' scores.  my plus was consistently lower til i got to about the 700 mark, no i can't see any correlation at all.  now the fakos are a LOT higher than fico.  example TU fako is 774, fico is 702 now.

Message 12 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

+1

There are a very few members who have posted that their FICO's and FAKO's are fairly close. They have had long-established, not very complicated credit reports, as I recall, and therefore fewer variables to be scored differently by the FICO/ FAKO scoring formulas.

Even then, you have to remember that all these different formulas have different score ranges, so even then, a 720 on one will not represent the same thing as a 720 on another.

To me, what's really spooky about FAKO's is that I've often seen them move in opposite directions to my FICO's. It's one thing to say to yourself, "Well, OK, my EQ FAKO tends to run about 15 points higher than my EQ FICO," but it's very possible that that 15-point gap won't stay at 15 points, and will be 30 points or 0 points instead with the next significant change on your report.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 16
laz98
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

To me, what's really spooky about FAKO's is that I've often seen them move in opposite directions to my FICO's. It's one thing to say to yourself, "Well, OK, my EQ FAKO tends to run about 15 points higher than my EQ FICO," but it's very possible that that 15-point gap won't stay at 15 points, and will be 30 points or 0 points instead with the next significant change on your report.

this actually happens to me quite a bit!  it's really weird & annoying.

Message 14 of 16
adwhit1

I use the USAA monitoring for bumpage only....The scores they provide are most def. out of this world!!!!!!

Airborne All the Way!!!!
Message 15 of 16
hunter399
New Contributor

I bank with USAA and I use the Credit Monitor. 

Its actually a pretty nice setup, nice layout, and good data (average account age, util, etc. is very easy to see). 

The scores, on the other hand, are a bit confused. My actual Equifax score is 674, and USAA reports is as 657. 17 points off seems like a lot. 

I will continue to use the service, just to view my reports, but ignore the scores. 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.