cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit utilization from 3% to 1% result in score change??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit utilization from 3% to 1% result in score change??

Will my credit score increase if i decrease my credit utilization from 3% to 1%?
20 REPLIES 20
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit utilization from 3% to 1% result in score change??

No it shouldn't, but the number of cards reporting a balance should result in a score change if decreased (usually an increase in score)
Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 2 of 21
BH1985
Regular Contributor

Every profile is different but it could improve your score.

I just went from 1% to 4% with no other changes except for an increase in the number of cards reporting a balance and a lower installment loan balance. My Experian FICO 8 dropped 10 points from 762 to 752 and my TU FICO 8 dropped 7 points from 727 to 720.

In any case, it's important to remember that utilization is a score optimization method but not a credit building method. In other words, it only affects your score temporarily as long as the utilization remains where it is.

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never heard of a utilization shift from 1% to 4% resulting in a 10 point Fico 8 shift on EX. 

Message 4 of 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Will my credit score increase if i decrease my credit utilization from 3% to 1%?

Probably it will get you a few points.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 21
BH1985
Regular Contributor

@BrutalBodyShots

It may be because I went to 50% utilization on one of my cards. I guess that's an important detail I left out.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BH1985 wrote:

It may be because I went to 50% utilization on one of my cards. I guess that's an important detail I left out.

Yes, I believe that was what caused your score gain then.  It would be interesting to see the same test replicated on your file without a single card crossing over a threshold, say 28.9%.  Of course to accomplish that you'd need to raise balances most likely on multiple cards, so a new variable possibly gets introduced in additional cards with balances.  Ideally the best way to do it would be with your highest limit bank card, if you have one that's got a limit great enough to increase aggregate utilization 3% without crossing a threshold on that card.

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never noticed a scoring change going from 1-4% or vise versa, changes under the 8% rarely have any affect that I have noticed. Then again I don't check every day, or every time minor changes like this happen. That said I have noticed 1-2 point gains and drops periodically, just never investigated why. 

Message 8 of 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've never noticed a scoring change going from 1-4% or vise versa, changes under the 8% rarely have any affect that I have noticed. Then again I don't check every day, or every time minor changes like this happen. That said I have noticed 1-2 point gains and drops periodically, just never investigated why. 

I do check every day.

And I have noticed that almost every time my aggregate utilization changes a full percent my FICO 8 score changes. In my profile the difference between 9% and 1% could be 15 points.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing second authorized user account?? Help!

I am an authorized user on 2 Bank of America credit cards with perfect credit history and same history length. I had a 25 point score increase being added to the first one, with no credit score change being added to the second one a week later. My credit utilization is currently at 3%. Removing the second BoA credit card would put me back at 1% credit utilization. My question is would my score change? Has anyone had experience in this situation? Thanks!!
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.