cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creditor going out of business: FICO effect (Blispay)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditor going out of business: FICO effect (Blispay)

What effect does a bank closing have on your FICO score? Since I'm pretty sure Blispay is going out of business soon, would we be better off closing the card or just letting them axe it.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Creditor going out of business: FICO effect (Blispay)

In most cases, no effect, unless it affects your overall utilization.  If it has a balance on it, the answer is a little more complex and the effect would depend on how the credit report is reported: original (best case), same as balance (ouch), $0 (double ouch) or not reported (varies).  Whether you close it or the lender does will have no difference; upon a manual review a future lender may inquire as to why it was closed.

Message 2 of 8
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Out of curiosity what makes you say Blispay is probably going out of business? I did a search for "Blispay is going out of business" and didn't get any hits. I don't have Blispay, read too much about their haphazard ID verification and have other credit accounts for 2% rewards or deferred interest.

Message 3 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Message 4 of 8
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Ouch! I was on the CC forum early but apparently "it" hadn't hit the fan yet. Not very promising when a CC issuer runs out of $$$ to approve new purchses right before the start of holiday shopping.

Message 5 of 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

In most cases, no effect, unless it affects your overall utilization.  If it has a balance on it, the answer is a little more complex and the effect would depend on how the credit report is reported: original (best case), same as balance (ouch), $0 (double ouch) or not reported (varies).  Whether you close it or the lender does will have no difference; upon a manual review a future lender may inquire as to why it was closed.

+1

Something else to consider is that the last time I checked Blispay is still only reporting to EX, so assuming that's still the case you only have to be concerned with the utilization on one bureau rather than three. 

Message 6 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Typo: credit report should have been credit line.
Message 7 of 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@DaveInAZ  "It" has apparently hit the fan:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Blispay-Suspending-future-purchases/td-p/5413514

Wow this is interesting.  I remember when Blispay first came out and was the hot attraction for a short period of time.  It seemed tempting to go for at that time, but something told me to hold off and see how this plays out first, especially when I was seeing info brought forward about no CLI's and so on.  

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.