cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creditworks v MF AAoA calculation differences

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Valued Contributor

Creditworks v MF AAoA calculation differences

On EX Creditworks, you can find three different calculations for AAoA. On the app under credit summary, you will find the average displayed as a number of years and months. The desktop site also has the average listed as a number of years and number months under credit summary, but mine doesn’t match the one on the app. Then the desktop site also has the AAoA listed as a rounded decimal number under overview. All three different are different.

MF also gives an AAoA for each report pull, but it only gives one calculation for each report. There the average is given in a number of years and months.

All four of mine are different! I’m well aware of how to calculate it myself and that we should calculate it ourselves. Nevertheless, I am curious for some data points to learn how these are calculated by the front-end software. I have an AU account and I don’t know whether it’s counting and I might be able to figure it out this way, although I know there is no guarantee that the front and software is properly including it or excluding it anyway. Either way, I’d like to get some data points and know how they’re coming up with these 4 different numbers.

Installment loan reported this month,so technically, I'm at 2 months, but AoYA points were NOT reset. When new CCs hit and it is reset, I'll put the number it is.+1,+2,+2(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)
Scores updated AUG 4, '19. Since then, 5 HP dings to add; will update again.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Super Contributor

Re: Creditworks v MF AAoA calculation differences

I understand you saying that the renderings are different, but are you also saying that the true AAoAs are different in all four cases?  For example, 1.33 years and 1 year 4 months are different renderings but they are really just two different ways of saying the same thing.

On the other hand, 1.33 years and 1 year 6 months are clearly not saying the same thing.

Here are some possible explanations:

(1)  The different AAoA calculations were not all done on the same day and the same hour.  If as little as a few hours of time elapsed then something could have changed on the report that changed the AAoA.  Certainly if one pull was done in late Jan and the other in early Feb (for example) you'd expect there to be a difference.

(2)  Different AAoA calculations might be based on different bureau data.  You should expect that your TU AAoA might well be different from your EQ AAoA, unless you have pored over the two reports and confirmed that they have exactly the same accounts with the same dates opened.

(3)  Some AAoA calculations might include AU accounts and others might exclude them.  I am pretty sure that the EX CW credit monitoring tool you mention includes or excludes AU accounts depending on whether it is the app or certain places on the desktop tool.  Some of the people here can tell you which does what.

BTW, if your chief interest is in finding out whether the back end FICO 8 algorithm is counting your AU account, these front-end summary pages won't give you a way of knowing that.

Happily there is a test you can implement that will answer that for sure.  Let us know if you'd like to know what that test is.

Message 2 of 11
Frequent Contributor

Just an FYI (if I understand your post) - I have EX credit works premium subscription and all of my age factors match the different tabs and match MyFico.

FICO 8 as of 10/08/19
FICO 9 as of 10/08/19
AoOA - 23Y7M | AAoA - 11Y5M | AoYA - 0Y1M
1 30 day late on EX (12/2012)
Open: 9 CC | 2 RC | 1 PLOC | 1 MTG loan | 1 Auto loan
Closed: 1 MTG loan | 1 Auto loan | 2 RC
Message 3 of 11
Valued Contributor

@CGID: Thank you for commenting. I have three ages from Experian today all based on the same report. Two of them match, though they’re in different formats, but one of them is completely different.

For example, I have six years and ten months, I have five years and five months, and I have 6.8 years. (We’re solely talking about Experian data and reports.) Yes, six years ten months matches 6.8, but not the other.

Plus last month MF showed five years one month, so that should be five years two months by now. Although I know you said at different times could affect it, if there were changes.

I’m pretty sure the difference is an AU account. Yes I’m familiar with the test, let all report zero and test the balance for the AU card for score change, or a variation thereof. I’m going to test that as soon as I have an opportunity to pay off my remaining card.

However, true AAoA is 6.47 with and 5.13 without. So it still seems off, I am getting three different ages.

Also, how accurate is the simulation software for Experian credit works and MyFICO? I’m really trying to figure out my FICO average age so I can predict the breakpoints.

Installment loan reported this month,so technically, I'm at 2 months, but AoYA points were NOT reset. When new CCs hit and it is reset, I'll put the number it is.+1,+2,+2(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)
Message 4 of 11
Valued Contributor

Re: Creditworks v MF EX AAoA calculation differences

@Trudy: yes you understand me correctly thank you for commenting.

@CGID: you are a genius. You’re exactly right. It’s because the difference in time. I have one account under dispute. That pulled all of its information, including age, out of the calculation and that’s what threw off Experian’s recent numbers.

Their app calculates with AU. Their desktop site shows both, depending on whether you’re at overview or credit summary. MF calculates without benefit of the AU.

And I think I’ve got another way to tell whether or not the AU account is being counted in the algorithm. My true EX AAOA is six years six months with the AU and five years two months without. Six months from now Experian and MF predict a decent point increase, plus a couple inquiries drop off also, so predicted 20 points on both. If they use being counted I’ll get those points, if not I won’t, because it will only be five years eight months without the AU. Thoughts?

Edit: I wrote 40 points I meant 20.

Message 5 of 11
Super Contributor

@Birdman7 wrote:

Also, how accurate is the simulation software for Experian credit works and MyFICO? I’m really trying to figure out my FICO average age so I can predict the breakpoints.

Not at all accurate and should never be relied upon.  This goes for all simulation software, not just EX or MF products.  They are all very unreliable.  Predicting the thresholds is a much taller order to be honest, as there aren't many that are concrete when it comes to AAoA and/or AoOA.  You can search through threads and find people that "think" they've found one, but their data usually comes with other variables, dramatically lowering the accuracy of it.  The only two that I have found on my profile that I'd consider to be "clean" data points where at AAoA of 78 months and 90 months, where I saw slight ~4 point increases at both points.

Message 6 of 11
Valued Contributor

@BBS: I was expecting a greater point value for that threshold but I’m sure scorecard assignment would determine that. As I’m calculating, and the software is predicting, lol, on my seven year breakpoint, it’s predicting a significant point increase however it also correlates with 3 dropped inquiries. 20points

Message 7 of 11
Super Contributor

Thanks for the kind word, Birdman.

BBS is right.  Trying to infer whether an AU is being counted by FICO 8 based on simulation predictions is very dicey.  The All Zero test you are familiar with is easy and will incontrovertibly answer your question.

Message 8 of 11
Valued Contributor

Does that mean age related points will come on the first of the month?
And what about scorecard reassignment would they also come on the first of the month along with the resulting point change?

Message 9 of 11
Super Contributor

Age of accounts factors increase on the 1st of the month, yes.  So, if you pull your scores on the 1st and nothing else changes on your CR, you can isolate an increase potentially to an age of accounts factor.  If your inquiries become unscoreable later that month, say the 12th, you could pull your scores at that point and see the impact of the inquiries no longer hurting your score.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.