cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIFFERENCES IN CREDIT SCORE (EQUIFAX) AND (MYFICO)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DIFFERENCES IN CREDIT SCORE (EQUIFAX) AND (MYFICO)

Hi every one, new to the forum here posting in behalf of the MRS.  WE just ordered myfico monitoring after reading so much informative information on the forums we signed up. Now our first question is, she has a score of 526 on equifax  on today, but a score of 700 on MYFICO!! Please help us understand these scores!!! thanks

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DIFFERENCES IN CREDIT SCORE (EQUIFAX) AND (MYFICO)

Equifax uses Equifax Credit Report and MyFICO uses FICO 8 scoring model. Lenders uses FICO 8 and the new FICO 9 models for credit purposes, mortgages, loans. LIke TransUnion uses Vantage 3.0 model. Confusing? Yeah. All I know is you rely on FICO scoring model for obtaning credit cards, etc. 

Although I have been declined with some banks using Credit Assessment Risk Score. 

Message 2 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Equifax sells two different sets of products:

The first based on the proprietary / pretty much educational score already mentioned.

The second based on FICO Beacon 5.0 (EQ 04 or FICO 5 as listed in the myFICO interface) which will match the listed mortgage score here for Equifax, and the Equifax score on 99.99% of the mortgages underwritten in the United States.  Scorepower is the single pull product, Scorewatch is the monitoring product.

The monitoring scores here at myFICO are FICO 8 for all 3 bureaus these days; however, when you order a report (or you get a report refresh with one of the services) you get the whole suite of scores.  FICO 8 is the dominant pull in the market today (by numbers); however, it's not used by everyone and absolutely not in the mortgage space.

        
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much, for these great explanations.
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Equifax uses Equifax Credit Report and MyFICO uses FICO 8 scoring model. Lenders uses FICO 8 and the new FICO 9 models for credit purposes, mortgages, loans. LIke TransUnion uses Vantage 3.0 model. Confusing? Yeah. All I know is you rely on FICO scoring model for obtaning credit cards, etc. 

Although I have been declined with some banks using Credit Assessment Risk Score. 

There are close to zero creditors using Fico 9, and mortgage lenders use Fico 4.

Message 5 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

The first based on the proprietary / pretty much educational score already mentioned.

The second based on FICO Beacon 5.0 (EQ 04 or FICO 5 as listed in the myFICO interface) which will match the listed mortgage score here for Equifax, and the Equifax score on 99.99% of the mortgages underwritten in the United States.  Scorepower is the single pull product, Scorewatch is the monitoring product.

The monitoring scores here at myFICO are FICO 8 for all 3 bureaus these days; however, when you order a report (or you get a report refresh with one of the services) you get the whole suite of scores.  FICO 8 is the dominant pull in the market today (by numbers); however, it's not used by everyone and absolutely not in the mortgage space.

What is the product which appears on the Equifax.com site, which is simply identified as "Equifax Credit Score"?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 17
iv
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

What is the product which appears on the Equifax.com site, which is simply identified as "Equifax Credit Score"?

Worthless?

It's just their "educational" score, technically offered for commerical sale to lenders... but even they have to admit it's not actually used:

The credit scores provided under the offers described here use the Equifax Credit Score, which is a proprietary credit model developed by Equifax. The Equifax Credit Score and 3-Bureau credit scores are each based on the Equifax Credit Score model, but calculated using the information in your Equifax, Experian and TransUnion credit files. The Equifax Credit Score is intended for your own educational use. It is also commercially available to third parties along with numerous other credit scores and models in the marketplace. Please keep in mind third parties are likely to use a different score when evaluating your creditworthiness. Also, third parties will take into consideration items other than your credit score or information found in your credit file, such as your income.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 7 of 17
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

So, if someone has a desire to monitor a Fico mortgage score it can be done using Equifax scorewatch.

Revelate, based on your reporting of EQ 04 I would guess you may subscribe to Scorewatch. I purchased the Scorepower report a few times back in 2014 and early 2015 before the 3B became available. I like the EQ report summaries.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 8 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

So, if someone has a desire to monitor a Fico mortgage score it can be done using Equifax scorewatch.

Revelate, based on your reporting of EQ 04 I would guess you may subscribe to Scorewatch. I purchased the Scorepower report a few times back in 2014 and early 2015 before the 3B became available. I like the EQ report summaries.

Does the Equifax proprietary score offer any clues as to behavior of FICO 5 EQ?

(Reason I ask, it just took a 15-point leap, and the only change I noticed was that the number of cards reporting a balance went from 7/21 to 6/21).

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Does the Equifax proprietary score offer any clues as to behavior of FICO 5 EQ?

(Reason I ask, it just took a 15-point leap, and the only change I noticed was that the number of cards reporting a balance went from 7/21 to 6/21).

Oh it's not proprietary score, it's just the older version of Scorewatch (FICO 5) that we had on the site a few years back.  I would assume reason codes would be there just like they are on the 1B pulls when talking individual scores, on the monitoring side though we didn't get reason codes from Scorewatch (and don't now) only from the individual pulls so I somewhat doubt that.

That may be a nice datapoint, I know for me on FICO 8 I take a drop at 33% (and someone else's data seems to confirm it's between 30-33%, I'm betting 1/3 personally) but my FICO 5 doesn't shift until I'm much worse (pretty sure it's 1/2, I'll test that again before my tax lien comes off) but I'm on a dirty file; I think you're on a different scorecard than I am on EQ (well likely based on our understanding of them) and of course TT has always suggested EQ FICO 5 moves more for him but I suspect his FICO 8 datapoint there is skewed with his godlike score on that model.

@Anonymous sorry I missed this I never used the EQ one, but I have DCU for datapoints and I pull 1B reports maybe more than I should though this past year been focusing more on EX since my lenders care about that one, and EQ hates me anyway Cat Tongue

        
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.