Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DP - Maxing out one card with aggregate under 9%

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DP - Maxing out one card with aggregate under 9%

My maxed-out Citi card (91%) just reported and I lost 18 points. I have 3/15 cards reporting and aggregate utilization at 8%. My file is clean, thick and mature. 

The interest is nominal, so I think I'll slowly take it down through the utilization thresholds and see what happens at each level, on Experian at least. There won't be a lot of other noise, so I think I can isolate & attribute any changes to crossing the thresholds. Stay tuned!

ETA:

7/24  Util increase from 0% - 91%: minus 18 points (3/15 cards reporting and 8% agg util)

8/24 Util decrease from 91% - 71%: plus 10 points (1/15 cards reporting and 6% agg util)

9/24 Util decrease from 71% - 51%: plus 1 point (1/15 cards reporting and 5% agg util)

10/25 Util decrease from 51% - 31%: plus 7 points (3/15 cards reporting and 4% agg util)

11/24 Util decrease from 31% - 11%: plus 3 points (2/15 cards reporting and 2% agg util)

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: DP - Maxing out one card with aggregate under 9%

It would be cool to see just the one maxed out card go down and see whats gained as you pass 88.9, 68.9, 48.9, 28.9, and then 8.9%. With the other 2 at $0. Or AZEO (All Zero Except One) as we say here. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that's the plan. I always keep a tiny balance on 1 card and sometimes have a statement balance on Chase that gets reported mid-cycle when I pay it off. I just thought this would be an interesting experiment since I bumped up that Citi Card.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just for a point of comparison, Credit Karma has the exact same information and docked me a ridiculous 64 points on both TU & EQ. I can't take them seriously.

Message 4 of 20
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

I have a clean/mature/ very thick file as well but I lost 30 points when I added a card at 96% util. Some of those points were probably because it was also a new revolver. 

I got 15 points back when I dropped the card to 48% util.

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GatorGuy wrote:

I have a clean/mature/ very thick file as well but I lost 30 points when I added a card at 96% util. Some of those points were probably because it was also a new revolver. 

I got 15 points back when I dropped the card to 48% util.

Interesting. Comparable to my experience, considering the drop for a new account.

Message 6 of 20
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Even though the overall revolving utilization is under 9%, the one card at 91% is the issue as far as the score being lower. The FICO score looks at two things. One, the average utilization looks at all credit cards combined together. Second, the scoring model looks at the percentage of each revolving trade line.

Go to the FICO score estimator from Myfico & play around with the revolving utilization percentage ranges. Instead of the average of all accounts combined, use the estimator for the one card that is 91% (maxed out). 

https://www.myfico.com/fico-credit-score-estimator/estimator

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditBob wrote:

Even though the overall revolving utilization is under 9%, the one card at 91% is the issue as far as the score being lower. The FICO score looks at two things. One, the average utilization looks at all credit cards combined together. Second, the scoring model looks at the percentage of each revolving trade line.

Go to the FICO score estimator from Myfico & play around with the revolving utilization percentage ranges. Instead of the average of all accounts combined, use the estimator for the one card that is 91% (maxed out). 

https://www.myfico.com/fico-credit-score-estimator/estimator

Yes, I'm very familiar with the scoring methodology. I had just seen questions in the past about actual score drops (to real people, not on the simulator) when one card was maxed out. I think people wonder about this prior to doing a large balance transfer or - in my case - taking advantage of a short-term Citi Flex loan to pay for home improvements. I honestly was pleasantly surprised that I didn't lose more points than I did! 

Message 8 of 20
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just for a point of comparison, Credit Karma has the exact same information and docked me a ridiculous 64 points on both TU & EQ. I can't take them seriously.

Dont take any Vantage site seriously. Anything CK gives you should be taken with a grain of salt. Since my BK in the 500's up to now in the 730's. CK has always lagged behind 20 pts avg. Before my spree last month I was in the FICO 750's. CK topped at 730's. Highest ever with them. After the spree? 710's. TU 709. LOL!

Your loan will be looked at in another light than a revolving credit card. Same util principles. But it doesnt hurt as bad as a maxed out card after the loan is taken out with a high balance. If my new SUV was a credit card owing 98%. Death wish. You'll see improvements once that card is down to <8%

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Dont take any Vantage site seriously. Anything CK gives you should be taken with a grain of salt.

Word. I hit 850 on all EX, EQ & TU and my CK was still in the 820 range and I was encouraged to apply for a new card to lower my (nearly nonexistent) utilization.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.