cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DW Mortgage reported, all score flavors dropped.

tag
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

DW Mortgage reported, all score flavors dropped.

The DW solely has our new mortgage from NFCU (I am on the deed only) .  It just reported and her monthly pull from MF shows score drops from 20 to 40 points across the board.  I was expecting mortgage scores to take a hit but some like the 09 varieties really plummeted.  No big deal in the long run I imagine.  She is still in the 800's on a few score varieties.

She has a NFCU SSL loan expiring in a few months, should she get another one to replace it?  No other installment loan is in the near future.  Thanks.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: DW Mortgage reported, all score flavors dropped.

I don't think DW will need another SSL. She has the mortgage reporting now, that should take care of the installment part.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 2 of 9
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

I don't think DW will need another SSL. She has the mortgage reporting now, that should take care of the installment part.

Thanks.  I didn't know if the Mortgage was the same Fico scoring wise.  I guess that would account for part of the score drop since the mortgage is not paid below 9% obviously.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with the above. An SSL will not do anything to contribute to the credit mix. The score drop was most likely cused by the change in installment utilization. If the SSL was already over 90% paid off, once the mortgage reported the score boost from low installment utilization disappeared. Additionally, the installment utilization increased significantly, probably close to 100% utilization (I'm assuming the SSL was for a relatively small amount), which will negatively impact scores. The good news, the scores will definitely rebound over time!

Message 4 of 9
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Agree with the above. An SSL will not do anything to contribute to the credit mix. The score drop was most likely cused by the change in installment utilization. If the SSL was already over 90% paid off, once the mortgage reported the score boost from low installment utilization disappeared. Additionally, the installment utilization increased significantly, probably close to 100% utilization (I'm assuming the SSL was for a relatively small amount), which will negatively impact scores. The good news, the scores will definitely rebound over time!

Thanks.  The SSL was originally 3.5k and is now under $100.  Conversely, the Mortgage is 97% currently.  Ahh well, we did what we needed to do @ 2% for a 15 year loan.   The SSL was part of my rebuilding for the DW, she got precident to clean up first and it worked out nicely in getting the above mortgage and some solid larger SL cards.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -

Message 5 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks.  The SSL was originally 3.5k and is now under $100.  Conversely, the Mortgage is 97% currently.  Ahh well, we did what we needed to do @ 2% for a 15 year loan.   The SSL was part of my rebuilding for the DW, she got precident to clean up first and it worked out nicely in getting the above mortgage and some solid larger SL cards.

Congrats to you / DW on the new house!  Yeah at some point once you get a mortgage sorted the various FICO tricks aren't quite as meaningful as mortgage is the most difficult thing to get UW by miles.  Thank you for the datapoint though, new account and installment ratio change would be right in that ballpark at her score levels.

Out of curiosity what were your closing costs on that 15 year 2% mortgage?

        
Message 6 of 9
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats to you / DW on the new house!  Yeah at some point once you get a mortgage sorted the various FICO tricks aren't quite as meaningful as mortgage is the most difficult thing to get UW by miles.  Thank you for the datapoint though, new account and installment ratio change would be right in that ballpark at her score levels.

I think it was in the $2.7k range.  Since it was a townhome, there were a couple items that added cost. Her MMS was like 780 and we had 20% down of the $157K purchase price.   She did still have a $4.5k Collection on her EQ report at the time but they didn't even mention it.  It was in the DTI calculation however.  They entire process was pretty painless.  I handled all of it as with all of her CC's etc.  The deal was a purchase below market from my Sister.

Should we just pay off the SSL at this point?

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it was in the $3.5k range.  Since it was a townhome, there were a couple items that added cost. Her MMS was like 780 and we had 20% down of the $157K purchase price.   She did still have a $4.5k Collection on her EQ report at the time but they didn't even mention it.  It was in the DTI calculation however.  They entire process was pretty painless.  I handled all of it as with all of her CC's etc.  The deal was a purchase below market from my Sister.

I would pay off the SSL. It is not significantly impacting her aggregate loan balance to original balance and the mortgage satisfies the loan mix criteria. Paying that off you should see no change in scores, as always YMMV and there could be a slight change. 

Message 8 of 9
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it was in the $3.5k range.  Since it was a townhome, there were a couple items that added cost. Her MMS was like 780 and we had 20% down of the $157K purchase price.   She did still have a $4.5k Collection on her EQ report at the time but they didn't even mention it.  It was in the DTI calculation however.  They entire process was pretty painless.  I handled all of it as with all of her CC's etc.  The deal was a purchase below market from my Sister.

I would pay off the SSL. It is not significantly impacting her aggregate loan balance to original balance and the mortgage satisfies the loan mix criteria. Paying that off you should see no change in scores, as always YMMV and there could be a slight change. 

I just paid off the SSL.  Likely won't know anything FICO wise until June 1.  We will see what happens.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.