Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover and fico score.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover and fico score.

@Anonymous wrote:

I was searching for some answers and came across this (older)thread. When i sign into my discover card, my fico score says 752, but when i sign into experian or scorecard.com they both say 682. That is a huge difference. I guess they use 2 completely different scoring systems. So i suppose my more accurate score is the 681 then? Thanks!

They're all accurate and uses the same scoring model, FICO 8, what's different is the credit bureau used. Both Experian.com and creditscorecard.com uses data from Experian (that's why they're the same) whereas Discover card accounts uses data from Transunion. Sounds to me like you have derogatory information reporting to Experian but not Transunion.
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

A 70 point variance between two scores from the same scoring model suggests only one of two things.  One, a dramatic difference in utilization (very high or near maxed out verses very low) or the presence of a negative item on the lower score bureau report that isn't there on your higher score bureau report.

Your best bet is to obtain copies of your two reports and compare them.  If you find a negative item present that should be there on the one report, you need to dispute it and get it removed.  The moment that happens, your score would bump up to something in the range of your other (higher) score.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are correct. I have nothing bad on transunion but experian has 1 bad acct from almost 7 years ago. That must be the difference. My utilization on both are around 18%. And everything else besides that is pristine. Think I will wait until that falls off to app for Amex. That should bring my score up a bit. Im sure that lower score is what they would pull. Ive busted my butt for the past 3 years working on my credit profile. Thank you all once again, so glad to have this community to come to when I have questions. You all rock!

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

When do you anticipate it falling off?  What is the severity (type) of negative item? 

If it's causing a ~70 point impact, that suggests that it's a major negative item... so something like a 90+ day late, collection, CO, etc.  I'm just curious what it is.  You'll definitely see a nice score gain once that dirty account is no longer a factor.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it was back over 6 yrs ago when i was still very irresponsible with my credit and never even paid it. It was an $800 care credit bill. I have since, after rebuilding and learning to use credit wisely and learned about utilization etc that i now have a new care credit acct with a $12k limit. Among  many other cards, all in excellent standing and low util. It will fall off July 1, 2019. Hopefully then, my fico will go up. This debt is not on my EQ or TU reports.

Message 15 of 18
RonM21
Valued Contributor

That will be nice when that care credit bill falls off! To your original question, I also have Discover and get the Transunion score. Like everyone said , it is the same and the only difference between it and a Transunion Fico 8 score seen elsewhere would be the date the score was pulled.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, it was back over 6 yrs ago when i was still very irresponsible with my credit and never even paid it. It was an $800 care credit bill. I have since, after rebuilding and learning to use credit wisely and learned about utilization etc that i now have a new care credit acct with a $12k limit.

This may be an account you can get removed with a GW request.  I was in the same boat as you with Synchrony, also with a Care Credit account.  The first account was dirty (120+ day late and a couple of 60's) from 3 years prior, but my current Care Credit account at the time looked much better.  Using the newer Care Credit account and my Lowe's accounts as references for sound financial behavior, ultimately Synchrony did remove the negative information from my older dirty account. 

Another thing you could look toward is requesting early exclusion of the dirty account, which from what I understand can sometimes happen 6 months before the 7 year mark... which is close to where you're at.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow BBS, that is excellent advice! How would I go about asking for an early exclusion? I have no clue where to go or how to request any of that kind of stuff. Any information would be very helpful! Thanks!!

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.