Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute status causing score increase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute status causing score increase?

My equifax dispute started today according to an email I received from them. Today I received three alerts from them about 3 accounts each stating “ an account listed on your credit report has been updated”. Two accounts were all for past dues from a mortgage and a car note, and one was a paid collection from Credit one cc. The alerts also indicate that the past due status “ is not reported” and “ consumer disputes, reinvesttigation in process”. My Fico 8 score is 37 points higher now. (Jumped from 650 to 687) Is it because the dispute is in process thus they are not included in the score? If that’s the case, will I lose that score increase after the dispute ends and let’s say the results are “verified, item remains”? If so would my score drop back to where it was before the dispute? (650 before). I’m hoping to get a mortgage Fico of 620. Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dispute status causing score increase?

Following for replies
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Dispute status causing score increase?

FICO chooses to remove certain OC account information from scoring while a dispute is pending, under the assumption that until the information is either confirmed as accurate or corrected, they will temporarily remove it from scoring.

That applies only to OC account information, such as derogs, but does not apply to collections.

Collections are not tradelines/accounts of the consumer, they are reporting by third parties of attempts to collect on a delinquent debt.

Once the dispute is resolved, then the full OC account information will be returned to normal scoring.

It will essentially restore any artificial increase or decrease that resulted from the removal of that information, but wont necessarily return the score to its prior numeric value.  Other changes in account information or aging of the accounts will also affect subsequent scoring, so a new score at a later point in time would be expected to be slightly different.  Any updated reporting, for example, of an unpaid charge-off or collection could have negative scoring implications.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.