cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do credit union cards score less on FICO?

tag
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Do credit union cards score less on FICO?

I saw some posts suggesting cc from CU count less than cc from big banks. I couldn't find anything on Google about it.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do credit union cards score less on FICO?

FICO algorithms do not differentiate between the different types of revolvers.  CU, big bank, store card, etc. There was another thread on here recently comparing store cards to bank cards in terms of whether or not one hurt more if it was maxed out compared to the other.  They are all viewed exactly the same though.

I think another common misconception is that the larger the credit limit, the "more" that account is factored into scoring.  For example, one may have a $300 card and a $3000 card (or a $30,000 card for that matter).  Yes, maxing out the higher credit limit card will raise aggregate utilization... but in terms of a single maxed out trade line FICO scores a $300 card the same way it would score a high limit card.  I know that's off topic, but just something for others to consider that may not realize this.

Message 2 of 3
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Do credit union cards score less on FICO?

@Subexistence wrote:

I saw some posts suggesting cc from CU count less than cc from big banks. I couldn't find anything on Google about it.

No, it's just as good as a bank.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.