cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a car loan that is paid off effect my credit? I have another small installment loan.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does a car loan that is paid off effect my credit? I have another small installment loan.

I just paid off my Ally car loan of $11,666.00. My credit/debt ratio is 15%. I have an installment loan with World Finance. Will this effect my credit score? I would like to get down to 7%. Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does a car loan that is paid off effect my credit? I have another small installment loan.

My car loan was paid off in May, 2019. My score dropped about 32 points or so. It was my only credit except for CC's. Slowly, it has been increasing.

Message 2 of 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Does a car loan that is paid off effect my credit? I have another small installment loan.

As long as the installment loan is reporting paying off your car loan should see minimal impact to your scores

Message 3 of 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

As long as you have an installment loan, you'll keep the scoring boost for credit mix.

Message 4 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

As long as you have the "open" installment loan with World Finance, you should be goldenSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

And Welcome @Anonymous To myFICO forums!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like paying off an auto loan would lower your credit risk. I am going try to get a new title or other loan to pay off my credit card debit to get it around 7% ratio.

Message 7 of 10
donkort
Valued Contributor

Try for under 5% utilization.

My scores went up after going below both 6% and 5% utilization.

I'll let you know what happens when it goes below 4%

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whether your score goes up or down depends on your aggregate installment utilization before and after.
Message 9 of 10
nupey10
Regular Contributor

It can.  I know it did for me twice when I paid off my vehicle.  Each time I had a strong credit mix of loans and cards.  The first time dropped me by like 20 pts or so.  Just recently I paid off another vehicle and my scores dropped 11-15 pts.  The first time scores rebounded in 2 months and were higher than previous.  Still waiting on a rebound this time.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.