cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone understand how credit reporting really works?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does anyone understand how credit reporting really works?

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah I mentioned to him about the hit scores take for not having an active loan and what he could do to avoid it, and he basially told me it's too much of a hassle. He really doesn't use credit that much anyways, the last time he bought a car was in 99 which was his first major purchase.

He also never apps for cards despite me telling him about some of the great offers I've gotten over the years, he keeps insisting he has too many already. Though compared to me that's not very many, eye of the cardholder. lol

So for a person like him the groundwork to maintaing a high score might seem like too much work, thus prefer to just let the card fall where they may. He'll never need a score higher than 780 anyways as he doesn't plan to ever buy a house or likely a car for another 10-15 years.

Whereas for me I treat it like some kind of sport activity where I have to win by strategically using each CC and paying down each balance accordingly to keep it under a certain threshold.  I could pay off all my balances today but why should I if it's not costing me anything? 

@Anonymous just having revolvers will net him a score in excess of that. It's not necessary to maintain an active installment unless you're just trying to get extra points or you need them. Sounds like his scores will be fine without one. Sounds like it would just be a bonus for him. 

Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.