cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does approval matter on the impact of a hard pull?

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does approval matter on the impact of a hard pull?

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting TT, I've never heard of an AoYA drop from > 1 year to 0 not resulting in a score ding, although I'm not sure this factor is tested all too often.  A few things would need to be in place for the test to work.  One, no accounts can have been opened within the last year of course.  Two, you'd need someone that's going to open only 1 account test it (like you say you may be able to do) and last, the reporting of the new account cannot result in an AAoA threshold crossing, as it adds in another variable to the potential scoring change.

I guess if you do end up testing this at some point, you'll want to make sure that your AAoA doesn't end in a X.0 - X.2 years or so, of course depending on how thick your file is and how much a new account would drop it in months.  Then again, if your AAoA is > 7-8 years already, which it very well may be, it wouldn't matter anyway.

On dirty scorecards, public record variety I only ever took hits for AAOA and never new tradelines.  When my tax lien fell off TU, then I see age of youngest as a reason code.  This was concretely tested with how many accounts I've opened and testing for AAOA boundaries and I've gone twice with gardening for over a year.  This sort of makes sense as it has been suggested it's a scorecard segmentation factor for clean scorecards, but it isn't one for sorting in the bottom 4 (or 2 on older models).

TT: I'm not really posting much on the forum anymore but I will try to see if I can catch the reason codes as there's a month between my Chase Amazon and my First Tech approvals and that's right around the time I pull my annual 3B anyway.  Actually I should pull first of August too for TU explicitly as I'm ticking over six months on the most recent tradeline this month just to see, six months might be a thing.

Yes, that's one reason why I say impact of a new account on score is conditioned based on credit profile - which includes scorecard assignment.

Since you have new accounts under 1 year you are unable to test going from over 1 year (12 months) to zero months. I am interested in whether 6 months is any type of threshold has any meaning for new accounts. Need data on AoYA crossing above the 6 month threshold for both clean and dirty files. Unfortunately, if going from above 12 months AoYA to zero AoYa has no impact on dirty scorecards, then the 6 month test probably won't show any positive result.

I had AOYA going over a year on dirty files = no change.  Caught that in the mess that is the original installment utilization thread.  I'm fairly certain there's not a breakpoint either on six months on dirty files, actually I'm pretty confident in that fact on EQ FICO 5 and I know AOYA matters there; I'm less confident on FICO 8/9 on that front.

Doesn't look like my tax lien is coming off EX or EQ this month so if none of my scores materially shift think that's fairly conclusive on the six month thing... I'll definitely pull a 1B TU though to test 6 months, and likewise I'll check at a year too assuming the reason code doesn't bail at the six month mark.  Would note I only have that reason code on TU FICO 4, and I had it on EX FICO 3 when my lien temporarily wandered away in December (though I think my FU was less than six months then I'll double check that) but I've never seen it on any FICO 8/9 model; that admittedly doesn't necessarily mean anything but it might be a difference from FICO 04.

        
Message 31 of 42
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

Just a data point to this thread. Something interesting happened the my Exp score this morning a 11 point bump. Last week I applied for a card and of course was expecting a ding but not as significant as a 12 point one from 1 inquiry? " I thought me myself" . Then as of this morning I checked my scores as I do daily to find my score had regained almost what it had lost last week the reasons why it did was I inquiry aged past the one year mark as well as the same account associated with it. Another thing I found interesting was Fico verbiage as " negatives" last week mentioned ( seeking credit) as a factor impacting my score. Now this week it's no longer in he verbiage as a factor. Fico never seizes to amaze. Just though I would share that.

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 32 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting, so with the presence of 1 extra scoreable inquiry (before the 1 hit the 1 year mark) you saw a reason code related to seeking new credit, but when it became unscoreable your number of inquiries at that time were too few to generate that reason code.  What were your total number of inquiries on that bureau?

Message 33 of 42
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting, so with the presence of 1 extra scoreable inquiry (before the 1 hit the 1 year mark) you saw a reason code related to seeking new credit, but when it became unscoreable your number of inquiries at that time were too few to generate that reason code.  What were your total number of inquiries on that bureau?

I have now (15) total inquires with only (5) counting towards the scoring. As we talked earlier in the thread about if total inquires are around 12-14 counting towards your score you likely receive less of a ding in my case only (5) at the time we're counting towards my score so perhaps that was the reason for such a huge ding? 

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 34 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you have 5 scoreable inquiries now, which was previously 6.  When you had 6 you had the negative reason code related to seeking new credit, but when you dropped to 5 that code went away?  If that's the case, this is a decent datapoint that going from 6 to 5 (or 5 to 6) could be some sort of break point for scoreable inquiries. 

No doubt with 12-14 scoreable inquiries that reason code would likely be present (depending on your other profile data of course) as well, but additional inquiries at that point wouldn't further adversely impact score.

Message 35 of 42
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

Correct... Reason code changed from when my inquiry total dropped from (6) to now ( 5) again counting towards my score. Still not completely sure why the 12 points as I also let 1 of my other credit cards report a balance which brought the total number of cards to report from (2) to (3).

Message 36 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@credit_endurance wrote:

Correct... Reason code changed from when my inquiry total dropped from (6) to now ( 5) again counting towards my score. Still not completely sure why the 12 points as I also let 1 of my other credit cards report a balance which brought the total number of cards to report from (2) to (3).

Understood.  Not sure if you mentioned it earlier, but how many total cards do you have on your report?

Message 37 of 42
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

I currently have 21 credit cards and 4 Ploc opened according to my reports. Never allow more than (3-4) report a balance at one time if possible. With 4% utilization currently reporting.

Message 38 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see.  So, you're definitely not losing any points due to having too high of a percentage of your revolvers reporting a non-zero balance.

Message 39 of 42
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

From my experience each credit report has been a different one. I can remember during the holiday shopping season when I allowed around (8) cards report balances EXP dinged me real good but yet EQ was affected very little with this and TU nearly at all. I guess that would be m next experiment down the road. What is the maximum number of cards with thicker profiles to report balances that will cause Fico adversity?

Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.