tag
Lechte
Frequent Contributor

Re: Don't waste your money on a FICO score

@Revelate wrote:

@Lechte wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Archangel_Nemesis wrote:

I just joined WPCU myself. When they pulled my TU to open the account, to approve me for my Visa and my Flexline it was all a match to my FICO 08. When we were looking to do my auto it was a totally different number. I got all the best rates except on a auto finance.

I joined DCU for $5 and got a 1.74% rate. They absolutly use the FICO 08 scoring system to approve you.

@OhioVern wrote:

Yes this was for an auto loan.

Credit scores and credit scoreing is going to constantly evolve so its going to be modified.  That said a current accurate score from a bureau in itself is useful information and the retrieval of it thru FICO isnt supposed to affect your score.  This information and service in itself is worth a negligable monetary fee to some consumers.  Anything short of that is not.  At minimum the cost for a bogus worthless number should be refunded.

Blame the government, blame the bureau, Its irrellevent.  If FICO cannot deliver they should at minimum refund the fee.

Until recently EQ's Beacon 9.0 score wasn't available anywhere; and auto-enhanced scores aren't available period to a consumer.

It can't be stated unilaterally that DCU is using an explicit score unless there's an easy comparison, and it's doubtful in this instance that such a comparison exists.

If DCU is explicitly 08/beacon 9.0 and myfico EQ has changed to beacon 9.0 as rumored....it would show an exact match.  Unfortunately, I don't have DCU...maybe someone with DCU can verify by that comparison...at least it'll give us an idea one way or another.

Something got confused here: DCU may (and likely does) use a different version of Equifax's products than what they provide monthly to their members.

The monthly score at DCU to my knowledge is still Beacon 5.0

The score here, sigh.  FICO not making me happy with a lack of announcement.

ETA: I'm filing my IRS paperwork on Monday, once it's processed if my DCU score jumps up to 720ish where my old TU / EX '08 scores were, I'll consider it likely changed.  Until then it still remains flatlined at my usual EQ Beacon 5 level.  Was tempted to wait till May to see if a derog at six months is less penalized under an '08 model but life > experimentation.

I was basing my comment on what one of the posters said about DCU being explicitly 08 model.   From what's been shown....DCU is different from myfico.com and Equifax.com is different than myfico.com.  Idk if anybody has compared their DCU score to Equifax.com's score.   If DCU and EQ are the same, then i'd have to believe myfico.com did for sure change.  

I'm in the same boat as you...my EQ and EX on here seem to be a little too far apart for being the same model...both reports the same, with EX showin 1 more inquiry and 29 points lower....idk, doesn't make much sense.

(EX08 - 654) --- (TU08 - 643) --- (EQ08 - 667) --- (EQ04 - 676)

Message 11 of 15
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@coterotie wrote:

Buddy of mine just got elected to Congress. I am nearly motivated enough to put together a package for him about the whole credit score business.  Back in the day when I was a banker and he was a banking lawyer, your credit worthiness didn't revolve around an artifically derived number.  We put some effort into determing ability to pay etc.  You could also look at the same information that the lender looked at and shopping a deal didn't negatively impact you.

I firmly believe that the models should be publicly available if they are going to use the information to grant credit.  Otherwise it is discriminatory and likely predatory. 

Back in the day, getting a Credit bureau report would tell you why you didn't get credit.  Now having all credit decisions based on a score which you have to pay to obtain and the algorithm used to derive the score is kept as a secret just doesn't cut it.

Legislation has been introduced in the 113th Congress, but I doubt it goes anywhere - after a year it only has 15 Co-Sponsors and they are all DEMS - House is not controled by DEMS, meaning few minority party bills get advanced.

Summary: H.R.1002 — 113th Congress (2013-2014)

Introduced in House (03/06/2013)

Fair Access to Credit Scores Act of 2013 - Amends the Fair Credit Reporting Act to require certain consumer reporting agencies to disclose, without charge, as part of a consumer's free annual disclosure upon request, a current credit score generated using the scoring methodology most frequently used to generate scores sold to creditors, including information regarding other risk scores or predictors in the consumer's file.

Requires the agencies also to furnish such other consumer information as the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) considers appropriate with respect to consumer financial education, including where the consumer's credit score falls with respect to a range of possible credit scores, and the general factors contributing to the credit scores of consumers.

Requires such agencies, upon consumer request for either a credit score or a risk score, to supply any such score in the consumer's file at the agency. Requires the agencies to maintain credit scores or other risk scores or predictors in the consumer's file for at least one year after the data is generated. Directs the CFPB to develop regulations establishing a mandatory format for consumer file disclosures

Message 12 of 15
Lechte
Frequent Contributor

I just purchased my Score Power from EQ and it is the exact score as myFICO SW.   So either people are full of it, or they're pulling scores at different important times.

EDIT:  Or EQ decided to switch scoring models as well...or it's just a flying coincidence that my 2 scores match.  

Message 13 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Lechte wrote:

I just purchased my Score Power from EQ and it is the exact score as myFICO SW.   So either people are full of it, or they're pulling scores at different important times.

EDIT:  Or EQ decided to switch scoring models as well...or it's just a flying coincidence that my 2 scores match.  

To be perfectly honest, I strongly suspect myFICO simply OEM's the Score Power product or similar.

Stuck waiting for FICO to state something official unfortunately, in my estimation, people are not full of it when it comes to this topic.  I'm beyond fustruated at this point personally.

        
Message 14 of 15
Lechte
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Lechte wrote:

To be perfectly honest, I strongly suspect myFICO simply OEM's the Score Power product or similar.

Stuck waiting for FICO to state something official unfortunately, in my estimation, people are not full of it when it comes to this topic.  I'm beyond fustruated at this point personally.

I am as well...curiosity got the best of me so I pulled the $20 trigger...wasted $20 for a curiosity, but it kinda confirmed what i've believed.  Until myfico says something to the contrary, i'm confident MyFICO is still using beacon 5.0...all the evidence i've seen supports that.  

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.