Dropped Util from 74% to 36% what should I expect to see

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dropped Util from 74% to 36% what should I expect to see

Total Credit Card Limits  $9200
Total Balance on one card  $3315.00 
$3315 / $9200 = 36% Util score

I used to have my utilization at 74% about a month ago with a equifax score of 639 in Feb of 2011 and now I've paid all my cards off and got my util score down to 36%
I just recently have had a bad 7 year old installment loan which fell off a few days ago from my credit report
my chapter 13 is coming off end of march as it's 7 years old in april.
I paid off my car loan which had a balance of $6 K
I did get a new installment loan for $5 K

I'm waiting for my fico score watch to update in April and wondering what kind of increase will I get from this big change of util and changes in my report?
Should I realistically expect 50 points increase, just curious if this is even possible as I would like to get a rewards credit card?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Dropped Util from 74% to 36% what should I expect to see

@Anonymous wrote:

Total Credit Card Limits  $9200
Total Balance on one card  $3315.00 
$3315 / $9200 = 36% Util score

I used to have my utilization at 74% about a month ago with a equifax score of 639 in Feb of 2011 and now I've paid all my cards off and got my util score down to 36%
I just recently have had a bad 7 year old installment loan which fell off a few days ago from my credit report
my chapter 13 is coming off end of march as it's 7 years old in april.
I paid off my car loan which had a balance of $6 K
I did get a new installment loan for $5 K

I'm waiting for my fico score watch to update in April and wondering what kind of increase will I get from this big change of util and changes in my report?
Should I realistically expect 50 points increase, just curious if this is even possible as I would like to get a rewards credit card?

While I can not give you a number range i do agree you should receive an increase. I have seen increases range from 1 point to 89 points so it is possible to receive a 50 point increase.

Just a small note for you to remember and consider, at times when we feel we should receive an increase we are let down because of being put into a new bucket. The possibility is there and could possibly have a negative impact (not always) and lower your score. The good news is once your scores rebound after being placed into a new bucket your scores usually increase to a much higher number then you even expected.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you know if buckets are done based on two BK's or one?

My chap 13 will fall off but my Chap 7 will be falling off next year in March just wondering if that's what your referring to.

Message 3 of 13
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My chap 13 will fall off but my Chap 7 will be falling off next year in March just wondering if that's what your referring to.

Being put into another bucket has nothing to do with BK or how many. It has to do with your credit profile and AAoA compared to others with similar credit profiles and AAoA. 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have any public record (BK, lien, etc.), you're in the public record negative bucket. 1 or 100 of them doesn't affect bucket assignment, although it might well affect your score within that bucket.

If you have a serious derog (60 day late over two years, 90+ of any age, collection, chargeoff), but no public record, you're in another negative bucket. Again, it only takes one.

As best as we've been able to determine, all the other buckets are driven by length of history, overall and/or average. So there's a new account bucket, brand-new-to-credit bucket, under 2 years, under 5 years, etc. And these numbers are guesses, based on what members have reported. For instance, my scores dropped when a new account went over 6 months old. Apparently I did better compared with those with new accounts, go figure.

But there are only two negative buckets, the ones mentioned above. The fact that it only takes one account that fits those categories explains why people often don't see much of a score increase when a collection etc falls off. It's when the last one goes that you see the major score hop. But since the others have to go before you get to the last one, it's still important to get your reports accurate and remove any incorrect negatives.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok that helps explain everything, I'll have to see where I'm at when everything settles down in the next month.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just pulled a score power report for Equifax

--------------------------------

I dropped off

one judgement from 2007

one bad auto loan from 2002

I added a new installment loan in 2011

I added a new credit card GEMB in 2011

I added two Hard inquiries

Now my AAoA is 5 years

Util went from 74% to 38% although it really is 33% but credit cards have not all updated yet

My score went from a 633 to a 656 not what exactly I wanted I'd prefer 680 but things are getting closer

Message 7 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Aside from rebucketing and FICO scoring, I would just add that there is another postive reason for getting and keeping % util down.

In this day of tough credit, credit line decreases are becoming more prevalent.  Also, if you are late on one payment, %APR increases can occur.

By keeping % util low, you are less apt to be in the crosshairs of the creditors.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes and it keeps my bills down as I don't have cc payments every month Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

when my BK fell off EQ went up 100 pts.  It

was a long 10 years though.

That util is still pretty high even at 36%.

EQ 802

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.