cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EQ8 score went up 2 points for a raise in one cards balance?

tag
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

EQ8 score went up 2 points for a raise in one cards balance?

I received an alert yesterday from MF that the balance on one of my cards went from 0 to 951, also in  that alert my eq8 went up two points. i usually pay in full each month before the statement cut on that card but this time i didnt.

I just find it strange that a fico can go up for an increased balance. just for reference the card cl is 3100.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

Re: EQ8 score went up 2 points for a raise in one cards balance?

Unless this was the only card reporting a balance, the balance increase is is very unlikely to have caused the score increase. Especially since you have crossed the individual utiization threshhold of 28.99% by going to 951/3100 (31% individual utilization). 

Be careful connecting the score increase with the balance increase. There are other factors which could have occured. For example, the average age of your credit accounts could have crossed a scoring threshold. The age of your newest account could have passed 3 months. Your last inquiry might have become unscorable. There's a lot of less obvious things (aging of accounts and inquiries past certain thresholds) which could have caused the score increase.  The timing with the balance increase might just be a coincidence.

You will see another score increase going back below 28.9% utilization on that card (less than $898 balance)

Message 2 of 5
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@Credit12Fico wrote:

Unless this was the only card reporting a balance, the balance increase is is very unlikely to have caused the score increase. Especially since you have crossed the individual utiization threshhold of 28.99% by going to 951/3100 (31% individual utilization). 

Be careful connecting the score increase with the balance increase. There are other factors which could have occured. For example, the average age of your credit accounts could have crossed a scoring threshold. The age of your newest account could have passed 3 months. Your last inquiry might have become unscorable. There's a lot of less obvious things (aging of accounts and inquiries past certain thresholds) which could have caused the score increase.  The timing with the balance increase might just be a coincidence.

You will see another score increase going back below 28.9% utilization on that card (less than $898 balance)

I usually pay that card to zero before the statement cuts but this time i didnt because i made a recent trip and plan to pay it down in 2 weeks. my total util of my cards overall  is 13 pct including that 951. most of my debt right now that associates with that util is from taking advantage of 2 zero pct bt offers.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 3 of 5
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

It's certainly complicated and I'm still trying to totally figure out the whole algorism thing . . . I'm having the opposite issue with Equifax and trying to get my score up by 5 points. I will continue to pay balances down with hopes of accomplishing that increase my year-end 2022.

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 4 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

I received an alert yesterday from MF that the balance on one of my cards went from 0 to 951, also in  that alert my eq8 went up two points. i usually pay in full each month before the statement cut on that card but this time i didnt.

I just find it strange that a fico can go up for an increased balance. just for reference the card cl is 3100.

MyFICO alerts don't provide reasons for a score change. There are certain events which trigger MyFICO alerts. If there happens to be any difference between your present score at that particular bureau and the previous score reported to you from that bureau, the score change is tacked on to the alert. There is not necessarily any connection at all between the score change and the alert substance.

MyFICO explains this as follows:

Why did my score go up when I got an alert for something negative (or why did my score go down when I got an alert for something positive)?

The short answer: Your FICO® Score may change because of other events not monitored by an alert.

Whenever we send you a credit alert, we also send an updated FICO Score. To ensure you get the most current score, we calculate it based on your entire credit report at that point in time—not just the new information on the alert. This means your new score may reflect other changes that are outside of the things we watch for (see everything we monitor).

Sometimes you may see your score increase when you think it should’ve decreased, and vice-versa, but you’ll always have your most up-to-date and accurate score.
https://support.myfico.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038084633

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.