Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EX FICO 08 retail card differentiator

Highlighted
Super Contributor

EX FICO 08 retail card differentiator

This is a second and separate thread from my TU FICO 08 Retail thread:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/UPDATE-TU-FICO-8-does-not-return-full-no...

In that thread, I conclusively found that TU FICO 08 treated retail cards differently and returned less than the full no revolving balance penalty when a retail card was used as the AZEO card. This therefore confirmed the conventional wisdom not to use a retail card as your AZEO card.

This thread instead addresses EX FICO 08 regarding the same topic, a retail card differentiator.

When testing with the carecredit retail card EX FICO 08 was unaffected. However, when testing with a Macy’s PLCC, EX FICO 08 only returned 11 of 15 no revolving balance penalty points.

Therefore there is also a retail card differentiator at EX FICO 08. The working theory is they are using the creditor name as the differentiator; otherwise it’s inexplicable why carecredit was flagged at TU but not EX.

I can conclusively say that EQ FICO 08 is not affected and does not have a retail card differentiator unless it has a list of creditor names for cards that fails to include both DSNB/Citi and carecredit.
For a collection of our current FICO scoring wisdom, updated as we learn, read the following. Watch the revision dates on the bottom of the first 8 posts as they are regularly updated: Link to Scoring Primer.

RIP:

Updated June 2020, unless otherwise noted. I took an HP on EX, will reflect on next update.

(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)

In order to better answer your questions and record your DPs, please provide your profile stats: Any baddies? Severity and recency? (clean/dirty), Number of accounts, both open and closed on CRs (thick/thin), AoOA? (aged/nonaged), AOYRA-Age of Youngest Revolving Account (new accounts/no new accounts)? Open/closed loan on CR?
For example, mine is clean/thick/aged/new account, with open loan on record.
If you don't know where you fall, just detail any baddies, your number of open and closed accounts, AoOA, AOYRA and whether you have a loan on record.

For utilization questions, list individual and aggregate utilizations, revolving and installment, please.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Moderator Emeritus

Re: EX FICO 08 retail card differentiator

@Birdman7with all of this you will have to take up drinking to keep your sanity  Smiley Wink  Now summarize this in less than one hundred words Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 300
Current Score: 850
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Super Contributor

TL;DR

Did you take the cycle of cards back, so that a "national credit card" was used as the AZEO card, and got the full set of points back?

Do you have any cards under 12-months aging?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@NRB525 Yes sir to both questions. I actually ran the test a few times on all 3 CRAs.
For a collection of our current FICO scoring wisdom, updated as we learn, read the following. Watch the revision dates on the bottom of the first 8 posts as they are regularly updated: Link to Scoring Primer.

RIP:

Updated June 2020, unless otherwise noted. I took an HP on EX, will reflect on next update.

(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)

In order to better answer your questions and record your DPs, please provide your profile stats: Any baddies? Severity and recency? (clean/dirty), Number of accounts, both open and closed on CRs (thick/thin), AoOA? (aged/nonaged), AOYRA-Age of Youngest Revolving Account (new accounts/no new accounts)? Open/closed loan on CR?
For example, mine is clean/thick/aged/new account, with open loan on record.
If you don't know where you fall, just detail any baddies, your number of open and closed accounts, AoOA, AOYRA and whether you have a loan on record.

For utilization questions, list individual and aggregate utilizations, revolving and installment, please.
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Dinosaur wrote:

@Birdman7with all of this you will have to take up drinking to keep your sanity  Smiley Wink  Now summarize this in less than one hundred words Smiley Happy

+1 for taking up drinking and seeing how it affects retail spend.

Tracking the first year with credit cards: 13 contiguous monthly reports of 28 FICO scores with reason statements for each one.

27 FICO Scores + 3 VS3. MTG (Mortgage), AUT (Auto), and BKC (Bankcard) are scores 5,4, and 2 from the top.

myFICO Premier subscriber since December 2018 & Mary Richards is my Spirit Guide.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.