Did you mean: 

EX Fico 8, -5 w/1 CC > 8.9%

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: EX Fico 8, -5 w/1 CC > 8.9%

@Anonymous wrote:
Why are you always picking on Cornelius and Rupert?😉😁

Just references from Fight Club, one of my GOATs.

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

The first rule of Fight Club...😉
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise
Message 13 of 22
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyway, a few days ago my AZEO account was at 3% reported utilization with 1% aggregate utilization... 850 score.  Today with the AZEO card bumping up to 23% utilization (aggregate utilization shifts to 3%) I saw a 5 point ding.  It's also worth noting that the ding could actually be greater than 5 points due to potential top-end buffer.

I know many people report being able to take an individual card across the 8.9% threshold and see no scoring penalty until they cross 28.9%, but that's not the case on my profile.  I should also mention that the reported balance on the card in going from 3% utilization to 23% utilization moved from ~$750 to ~$6100, so it's possible that some raw dollar value being crossed may be a factor, as I know some have theorized dollars could be considered in part.  Curious to hear what you all think.

I just read this yesterday, is this what your are talking about?  (I am interested in your post and trying to learn)

I remember reading @ABCD2199 post:https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/The-Truth-about-Credit-Card-Utilization/m-p/5116660#M132589

1. There may be a threshold at 19%-29% but I'm not 100% certain.  I'll be testing that myself.  Also note that within any given "threshold" you may get a few points back for being on the lower end versus the higher end.
  2. But just counting aggregate utilization is NOT enough, because out of the 150 points probably set up for "Amounts Owed" for credit cards in FICO Score 8, another 50 points may be targetted to individual card utilization.  50 points is HUGE, and it's a make-or-break situation if you're on the edge of a better credit score tier.
My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

The threshold that I posted about with this thread is at 8.9%, not in the 19%-29% range. 

I also disagree with the language that "within any given threshold" you may get a few points back from being near the top end or bottom end.  That to me simply means there's another threshold if that's the case, but that's just the way I look at it rather than a threshold within a threshold or whatever.

Message 15 of 22
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Okay, cause when I read where you mentioned the 5pt. ding at 23% I thought about that. (possible 19-29 threashold)

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the ding at exactly 23% also. Crazy coincidence I happened to be at the same exact percent. I was also assuming it was the 8.9% thresh.
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll have to do some more testing to confirm that 8.9% is indeed the threshold.

That 23% utilization card is going to report at 19%-20% in a couple of days, so I wouldn't expect to see any score change for that.  Next cycle I'll see if I can have it report at a percentage closer to but still above 8.9%... perhaps in the 11%-13% range or so.  If no score movement happens there, that's good enough for me that 8.9% may be a threshold for individual card utilization on some profiles.

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed
Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll have to do some more testing to confirm that 8.9% is indeed the threshold.

Has anyone tested 8.99% vs 9.00% to see if there is any difference? I ask this because in financial software we don't use normal floating point registers to represent currency calculations, due to rounding errors.

We would use something like this: Intel® Decimal Floating-Point Math Library

Sometimes people see a movie like 'Office Space' where the characters plot to steal money by exploiting these fictional rounding errors in banking software, and then that takes on a life of its own.

I will test it myself one of these months with a $179.99 balance on a $2000 CL card, followed by $180.00 the next month.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.