Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EX MF score dropped 17 pts for payment?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

EX MF score dropped 17 pts for payment?

For the 2nd time, my EX MF score drops after paying to $0. Not just a few points here...received a -17 pts score drop, taking me from 667 to 650. This is the 2nd time my EX score dropped after bringing account to $0..last time it was -3 pts which hurt me from "good" back down to "fair."  As you can see on the screenshot, I never did get those 3 pts points back from the last time it happened.

M EXPERIAN "reported" changes...

• Today... Paid $15 to $0 to KOHLS.... -17 pts
  • 10/17 ... Received CLI from $1600 to $1800... 0 pts
  • 10/17 ... (1) EX Inquiry in past 6 months (CapOne-approved for $3,000 on 10/18, but not reporting yet) ... 0 pts
  • 9/29 ... Received CLI from $400 to $750 ... 
  • 9/29 ... Paid $9 to $0 to CapOne ...-3 pts.

Hoping some of your expertise can shed some light on what I am doing wrong. I am literally confused and discouraged at this point. Every time I am waiting for "positive" effects to report, EX throws me for a loop while I wait. 

Am I missing something here? I have attached a SS w/notations of my most recent MF alerts. Thank you for any and every tips/reply to help me understand what is going on here. 

Other changes not reporting yet:

• My 10/17 CapOne app was approved for $3,000.
  • On 10/14 HSN approved for $950 on "SCT trick gone wrong" (was not an EX inquiry though).
10 REPLIES 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: EX MF score dropped 17 pts for payment?

While I imagine one of the mods will move this I'll answer this one.

Long story short is FICO 08 scoring models don't like it when you have $0 balances on all cards. For maximum scoring purposes it's best to have all but one card reporting a balance. And for the one card reporting a balance have it be <8.9% of the card's utilization. That should give you the best score for your credit reports.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

My utilization is typically between 1-5% every month, with CapOne reporting between $5-15. However, happens Kohl's reported 3 days earlier than CapOne this month. CapOne will be reporting with at 1% in a day or 2.
Message 3 of 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If that's the case expect your score to go back up once that Capital One balance reports to the credit bureaus. I dunno it'll completely recover from the dip because the new CapOne account you got will perhaps affecting your AAoA but defintely will go back up.

Message 4 of 11
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

AZEO / AZE1
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 5 of 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

For "newbies" it's best to explain these things rather than using acronyms which will confuse some.

Message 6 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, oreo zztop JRSmiley Happy

Simplynoir is correct. All cards to zero except 1 method.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to go off topic..which monitoring service is that you posted?

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

As soon as your Capital One reports a non-zero balance, you'll get back all the points you lost from having all $0 balances reported.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

As soon as your Capital One reports a non-zero balance, you'll get back all the points you lost from having all $0 balances reported.

Ouch! MF alerts are killing my excitement I had for just receiving my new QS card yesterday. 

I surely hope to get all those points back. Just got another alert... "your balance on one of your accounts has decreased by 100% -- $15 to $0" for both EQ and TU as well. Now my highest score just dropped from EQ 670 to 662 (-14 pts)...and my TU score dropped from 645 to 643 (-2 pts). 

I am at my 1 yr mark since filing ch. 7...felt good to see 2 scores be in the "yellow/good" range. So kind of blows now to see the progress be undone from a $15 balance. lol. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.