Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early Exclusions Dropping FICO Scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Early Exclusions Dropping FICO Scores?

Based on feedback in this forum, I requested early exclusions on the TransUnion web site. One was a credit card from long ago, almost 7 yrs. Another was my student loans, which are 10 different accounts. These deliquencies are not quite 7 yrs old; they were due to drop off in Dec 2019 with TU. To my surprise, both were approved!

However, on myFICO, it shows that these changes resulted in a 9 pt DROP in my FICO score with TU. The details shown in my "Alerts" are:

• A deliquency / past due account was removed from your credit report
  • Decrease in Accounts Past Due (10 --> 0)
  • A Personal Finance account was removed from your credit report
  • A Bankcard account was removed from your credit report

When I go to my Dashboard, TU is still showing that I have 10 account(s) showing 30+ days late. So I assume all of the data still needs to update. By why do these alerts show a 9 point drop in my FICO score? I expected the opposite to happen.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Early Exclusions Dropping FICO Scores?

Alerts don't always equate to score changes. So changes you're seeing in your scores are most likely attributed to another factor
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I'm tempted to order a TU 1B report. This also "pushes" score updates in myFICO, yes?

Message 3 of 8
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

If the student loans where your oldest account then them being gone most likely affected your average age. That would be my guess without more information as to why you saw a drop. If the lates where not 90 or more, then the amount they where hurting may have already eased up. clean files are always better than dirty ones as the scores can start to recover and not be held back by the baddie.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I understand, while MyFico does update your score in real time (as close as they can get, anyway) while your credit report only updates ad hoc, monthly, or quartlerly based on your subscription. So, even though they are gone, they are going to continue to show on your report on MyFico until you get a new one. The score change that has processed, though, is already reflecting those changes.

My guess (and I am by no means an expert or even close) is what the other poster said about your AAoA dropping. The delinquencies weren't the only things removed. Other tradelines were removed  in their entirety (if I'm reading what you posted correctly). 

• A Personal Finance account was removed from your credit report
  • A Bankcard account was removed from your credit report

The loss of these tradelines could have had a negative impact on your report for a few reasons. Your total number of accounts decreased, it's possible your AAoA decreased, and you may now have no open installment loan which is also seen as a negative. I'm not sure if bankcards are considered "revolvers" but if they are and you now have less than 3, that could cause a negative impact as well.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I misread some of your post.

Early exclusions themselves won't lower your score in anyway but having an installment loan fall off your report which happens 10 yrs after paid off.. will impact your overall AAOA as that is your oldest account. This is a temporary loss as your other accounts will age
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, thanks for all of the feedback. 

The student loans were not my oldest accounts. I had several others (including auto loans, mortgage loan, credit cards, etc.) prior to the student loans. The student loans were reported as over 120+ days late, which is accurate. I went through some family medical issues in 2013 and made the mistake of not calling the Dept of Ed to figure out a work-around while we were going through some financial hardships. After these late payments, the loans were transferred to Nelnet, and my payments have been on time consistently (auto pay) with Nelnet. So the Nelnet loans are still on my credit report, but I think the ones with the Dept of Ed (which showed the late payments) have now fallen off. 

I think I'll just pay for the TU 1B report to see what's going on. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, so I ordered the report, which forced updates in myFICO. The average age of my accounts did drop from 110 months to 97 months, so you guys are right that this is what affected the score drop. However, I was mostly trying to get my mortgage lending score to increase and it did, thankfully. Whew!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.