cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect after a number of balance transfers, making some credit cards having big amounts to limits

tag
Lest

Effect after a number of balance transfers, making some credit cards having big amounts to limits

I have recently gotten a few new cards that came with attractive balance transfer offers and bigger limits. I have transfered other cards onto them to save on interest and put it towards the repayment. I would save a good amount of money this way.

This shifted my credit history to have now a few credit cards almost maxed out and a long list of other cards with zero balance. Before the balances were spread out.

How would this affect me in the near future?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Effect after a number of balance transfers, making some credit cards having big amounts to limit

@Lest wrote:

I have recently gotten a few new cards that came with attractive balance transfer offers and bigger limits. I have transfered other cards onto them to save on interest and put it towards the repayment. I would save a good amount of money this way.

This shifted my credit history to have now a few credit cards almost maxed out and a long list of other cards with zero balance. Before the balances were spread out.

You need to provide numbers for people to guess.

Message 2 of 5
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Effect after a number of balance transfers, making some credit cards having big amounts to limit

There could be temporary score changes as balances shift to their new homes. A balance could appear on both the donor and recipient cards simultaneously, or it could appear on neither card for a brief time.

Expect the higher utilization to hurt and fewer cards with positive balances to help. How that will shake out is anyone's guess. More details might help with that guess.

Message 3 of 5
PNWRambler
Frequent Contributor

In the long run, your score will probably go up with a larger overall credit limit, and a smaller overall utilization. And if you have fewer overall cards with a balance that will help as well. But if the old cards were each at a lower util % and the new BT cards are now a very high util % or even maxed out, then it's going to look worse. I belive maxed out is generally >88.90%

Specific numbers needed to really give a clear answer here.

Message 4 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Lest wrote:

It will hurt your scores in the near future.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.