Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of Installment Loans on Scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Effect of Installment Loans on Scores

As a recent transplant to the US, I have a limited credit history of just one year. I currently have 5 credit cards (0 authorized user cards) but no installment loans. I am wondering if I should add an installment loan for $500 from Self Lender or a secured deposit loan from a credit union (I see that Alliant secured loans are not an option anymore)? As I understand my score could increase due to having better credit mix, helping my future possible car loan and mortgage rates. Is there anybody with a similar experiance, how did it effect your scores?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Effect of Installment Loans on Scores

Your scores are good enough to obtain a $500 unsecured personal loan with Alliant.  It sounds like you may be familar with the idea of the Share Secure Loan Technique.  If not, read the first three posts here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secu...

The idea is the same when you have an unsecured personal loan with Alliant.  Pay the balance down to $40, cancel the monthly auto payment, and then make a $2-3 payment every six months.  Alliant will allow you to keep it open the full five years that way.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditGuyInDixie

Thank you for the response! It seems like currently only Navy FCU is offering a shared secured loan. There is a topic for the quest for another option http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/The-Quest-for-an-SSL-alternative-to-Alliant/td...

And I don't think I can be approved for an unsecured loan yet due to not being a citizen/green card holder. I learned about that when I tried get a student loan last yearSmiley Sad

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

As a recent transplant to the US, I have a limited credit history of just one year. I currently have 5 credit cards (0 authorized user cards) but no installment loans. I am wondering if I should add an installment loan for $500 from Self Lender or a secured deposit loan from a credit union (I see that Alliant secured loans are not an option anymore)? As I understand my score could increase due to having better credit mix, helping my future possible car loan and mortgage rates. Is there anybody with a similar experiance, how did it effect your scores?

Look at my signature, cuz I have a very similar profile. I have 5 credit cards, but a credit history of almost 2 years. I added an Installment Loan in December at 1.5 years of credit history, and my score jumped from ~760s to 790s! Well worth it, but Self Lender can be pricey ($70 after fees+interest, if I remember right). However, there aren't many other options since they closed Alliant's Secured Loan option.

But if you can get something, and you're fine with the cost (whether its a hard pull or VERY low interest/fees), pull the trigger if you want the free boost ~30 points Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.