Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of Old Mortgage Deletion?

tag
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Effect of Old Mortgage Deletion?

I'm in the process of trying to get WF to stop reporting an old mortgage account that shows at least one 90-day late and a number of 30- and 60-day lates from my credit reports. I'm not disputing their reporting as inaccurate; rather, I've sent them goodwill letters using the time-honored Saturation technique asking them to stop reporting the old account altogether.

If I'm successful, I expect the deletion of the late payments will boost my scores. However, the old WF mortgage is also my oldest account, so I could suffer a decrease in AAoA and AoOA when it's deleted. My question is: Are the benefits of erasing the old late payments from my credit reports likely to outweigh the potential cost of decreasing the age of my accounts?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2 REPLIES 2
DIYcredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: Effect of Old Mortgage Deletion?

I believe it's more important to have a clean credit report than to have an old account with numerous lates and a serious derogatory.If that's your oldest credit account by far, if its deleted from your cr your Fico score will be lower.But it depends on how your cr looks as a whole not just one factor.On a clean cr your credit score can rise pretty quick, the lower the credit score the more credit score improvement you can have with positive behaviours.GOOD LUCK...

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Effect of Old Mortgage Deletion?

There are two things we do not know from your initial post:

(1)  If the mortgage is deleted, what will that do to the age of your oldest account?  Phrased differently, what is the age of your mortgage and what is the age of your next oldest account? 

(2)  What other derogs do you have on your report and what are their severity?

Suppose you already have other derogs on your report that are just as bad or worse, and suppose that your Age of Oldest Account will drop from 30 to 5 as a result of the mortgage deletion.  In that event, the deletion will harm your score.

If, however, your report is clean outside of the mortgage, then your will get a big score bonus even if you had a huge drop in Age of Oldest Account.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.