Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect on mortgage score if closing 2 brand new CCs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Effect on mortgage score if closing 2 brand new CCs

Long story short. I got 2 new cc's on their way. I didn't need them, i have several. As of a few days ago, I'm unexpectedly mortgage shopping sooner than i expected.

Those 2 new cards are probably going to screw up my mortgage scores when they report.

If i close them immediately, will it reduce the negative effect on my scores of having 2 new credit cards?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Effect on mortgage score if closing 2 brand new CCs

@Anonymous wrote:

Long story short. I got 2 new cc's on their way. I didn't need them, i have several. As of a few days ago, I'm unexpectedly mortgage shopping sooner than i expected.

Those 2 new cards are probably going to screw up my mortgage scores when they report.

If i close them immediately, will it reduce the negative effect on my scores of having 2 new credit cards?

Nope. 

Closed or open, they will report and affect your mortgage scores the same. 

Message 2 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry, no. Closing them won't do any good. You might as well keep them and let them report zero balances.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry, no. Closing them won't do any good. You might as well keep them and let them report zero balances.

+1

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I should clarify - i have not activated these cards yet, and they are not reported yet. The hope was they would never show up, or at least not hit me with a "new credit card" related neg on my mortgage score (which are very sensitive to revolving credit) if they do report.

Message 5 of 11
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I should clarify - i have not activated these cards yet, and they are not reported yet. The hope was they would never show up, or at least not hit me with a "new credit card" related neg on my mortgage score (which are very sensitive to revolving credit) if they do report.

They WILL report, activation of the actual card has nothing to do with reporting. 

Message 6 of 11
donkort
Valued Contributor

If you have a high utilization%, your utilization % will go down because you would have 2 more "credit limits."  This might even increase your score.  Credit card utilization counts greatly within credit scoring.   Especially if it brings utilization down to below 30%.  

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dragontears wrote:

They WILL report, activation of the actual card has nothing to do with reporting. 

I only did this once (2 years ago) and it reported for about 2 months, then dropped. I wasn't sure if this was typical

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@donkort wrote:

If you have a high utilization%, your utilization % will go down because you would have 2 more "credit limits."  This might even increase your score.  Credit card utilization counts greatly within credit scoring.   Especially if it brings utilization down to below 30%.  

my utilization is 12k out of 75k, and dropping, so I'm pretty decent there. 

Message 9 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Probably they will report anyway, but you might as well refrain from activating them on the offchance that this might delay their being reported.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.