Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effects of 200% Utilization

tag
dmc917
New Contributor

Effects of 200% Utilization

My husband and I were shopping for new furniture for our new house a year ago, so we applied for La-Z Boy/Synchrony credit.  My husband only qualified for a $1,200 SL and I was denied altogether, so we waited until last last month to try again.

Our new TV room furniture came to about $7,100, so my husband whipped out his $1,200 La-Z Boy card and the saleswoman called Synchrony for an increase -- he was approved to only $3,000.  Since my credit had gotten substantially better since last year, I also applied and was given a $3,000 limit.  Our saleswoman then processed his card and my new account number and had both of us sign separate $3,000 receipts to utilize the full combined limit of $6,000 on our purchase.  (I paid the remaining balance with my relatively new 0% Amex ED.)    

Yesterday, I registered my new La-Z Boy card online and noticed that, although my credit limit was $3,000, there was an Over Limit Amount of $3,000 and the Available Credit was showing as -$6,000.  (Our saleswoman must have combined the sale and put the entire $6,000 through my new account -- although I do not know how or why after we signed separate receipts.)  It then occurred to me that this account will show on my CRs as 200% utilization -- and, after checking, it does indeed as of 2/19.  

On 2/20, after my daily checking of CRs, my heart sunk -- both my EX and TU scores dropped dramatically:  EX-25 points and TU-17 points.  (EQ is usually very slow to report for me, so I have no idea what to expect, but I am now braced.)  .  My overall utilization this month has increased from 15% to 19% and, with the new added account, I was expecting drops, but not that steep.

Putting two and two together this morning, I contacted Synchrony to see if they could (i) increase my limit to $6,000, (ii) split the sale between our two accounts, or (iii) combine our two accounts into one joint account, but was told that I had to contact the store to make any changes -- which I did.  My saleswoman will get back to me tomorrow. Hopefully, this can be resolved quickly and my scores will reflect a true (gulp) 100% utilization for that account and not be as devastating.

A year ago, I did not think of such things as utilization.   Today, I am very glad I do -- otherwise, I would have lived with this scoring deficit for the next half of the 36-month 0% term.

Thanks, again, myFICO!!

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Effects of 200% Utilization

Honestly I think you faired pretty well. Nevertheless that is still a big drop. I am not positive but I think I read that anything over 100% is just maxed out. Hope you get it straightened out.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Effects of 200% Utilization

IT happens, when I was fresh out of college I charged someone 4,000$ instead of 40$ for like a car charger Smiley Happy 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.