Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effects of High Utilization

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Effects of High Utilization

@zerbherb wrote:

discover is so annoying raise my ^%$%^ limit so 166$ is not a big deal. so tired of them. i think amex will become my go to card. transunion dropped to 709.

Discover has been really slow to give me CLI's, however recently with all of the CLI luv button threads I have followed suit and they have finally started opening up the CL. I started at $500 many years ago, but in the last 2 months I have seen 2k in increases and my line is at 4.15k now.

Message 11 of 22
zerbherb
Established Contributor

i approve of my nickname guys. the herb. its fits.

;
Discover it 13300 cl nov 2014/ Everyday 26700 k march 2015/CSP 7.5k Feb 2016/ Freedom Unlimited 7k july 207
Message 12 of 22
degs138
Established Contributor

So here is where I am at.  I was at 35% utilization in May with one card at 85% utilization.  My score dropped to 651 at the worst.  FICO score reported by Barclays.  I paid off my cards in June so I was reporting a 16% utilization.  My score went up to 699.  Next month I will end up paying off my balances and get my utilization down to under 10%.  hoping to be back in the 700s.  I'll update the thread when I get my next score update.

I couldn't believe I went form 709 to 651 with high utilization on one card.  That is a drop of 58 points for using close to the limit on one card.

FICO TU 757 Eq 741 116,900 Total revolving Credit.
Favorite cards: AMEX BCP, US Bank Cash+, Chase Sapphire Prefered
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@degs138 wrote:

I had a lot of bills this tax month and I am going to carry a balance for the first time ever.  It's on a 0% APR card which is the only reason I'm carring a balance.  Keeping the cash I could pay it off in a 3.25% APY account.

My utilization was always 4-8% each month.  For this month my statements cut and I had 35% utilization.  The following happened to my scores

FICO TU reported by Barclay 696 dropped to a 674

FAKO TU by Credit Karma 684 droped to a 635

I'm going to pay all my cards off at the end of this billing cycle except for my 0 APR card.  I will pay that off the following month.  I'll repost my scores as they change.

If you could get the utilization on that card fro 35% to about 29% or less it will make a huge difference on your score.

Message 14 of 22
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@degs138 wrote:

So here is where I am at.  I was at 35% utilization in May with one card at 85% utilization.  My score dropped to 651 at the worst.  FICO score reported by Barclays.  I paid off my cards in June so I was reporting a 16% utilization.  My score went up to 699.  Next month I will end up paying off my balances and get my utilization down to under 10%.  hoping to be back in the 700s.  I'll update the thread when I get my next score update.

I couldn't believe I went form 709 to 651 with high utilization on one card.  That is a drop of 58 points for using close to the limit on one card.

I see that you have two Cap 1 cards. Take a look at their balance transfer offers. I also have a Venture and QS. Each one provides me with no fee balance transfers. Depending on when your statements close, it might be beneficial for you to transfer the balance onto one of them if there is no fee. That could movet the balance early and increase your scores when the other card reports zero. Then pay the Cap 1 down before it reports the higher balance. I have my statement closing dates spread out. This has helped me when I wanted to float something for a month. Didn't have to pay intrerest or see a score decrease.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 15 of 22
taxi818
Super Contributor

Would never worry of the month to month changes. Unless applying. 

Message 16 of 22
degs138
Established Contributor

Thanks for the advice everyone but I was just doing this to see how it affects score.  I saw a huge decrese when all my credit card debt was on one card.  85% on one card and 2-5% on the others.  I has over 30% total util so I understood the score drop.  When I got back under 30% my score increased.  It didn't increase as much until I got my 0 APR card back under 30%.  Next months I'll report under 10% util.  All my cards will be under 10% except my 0APR card will be between 10-20%.  I don't need the credit, just wanted to see how it affects my score.

FICO TU 757 Eq 741 116,900 Total revolving Credit.
Favorite cards: AMEX BCP, US Bank Cash+, Chase Sapphire Prefered
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

0% APR offers are awesome - you can keep your money earning interest, while the CCC loans you money for free. I'll carry a balance, and pay it down in the final few months of the 0% promo period.

I usually don't let the utilization get too high on a 0% APR card, but it's not really a big deal if you do (unless you get it so high your CCC takes action, lowering your limit) - your score will be lower temporarily, but unless you're applying for new credit, that's not an issue. Once you eventually pay down the card, your score will bounce back almost immediately, since FICO scores don't have "memory" of utilization. 

For me, the main benefit of an improved credit score is to save money - whether by obtaining better rewards cards or getting lower rates on home/car loans, or taking advantage of 0% APR offers - unless you're in the process of the former, take advantage of the latter.

Message 18 of 22
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I let a few cards report. They are -

Card.... Balance..... Credit Line 

Cap 1    $694.00       $9000.00

Walmart $77.14       $3000.00

Target    $1.01          $3000.00

Yup, I got a little wild with the Target card Smiley Happy   Total utilization is just under 2%. None of my scores went down with the three cards reporting. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 19 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@degs138 wrote:

I had a lot of bills this tax month and I am going to carry a balance for the first time ever.  It's on a 0% APR card which is the only reason I'm carring a balance.  Keeping the cash I could pay it off in a 3.25% APY account.

My utilization was always 4-8% each month.  For this month my statements cut and I had 35% utilization.  The following happened to my scores

FICO TU reported by Barclay 696 dropped to a 674

FAKO TU by Credit Karma 684 droped to a 635

I'm going to pay all my cards off at the end of this billing cycle except for my 0 APR card.  I will pay that off the following month.  I'll repost my scores as they change.

If you could get the utilization on that card fro 35% to about 29% or less it will make a huge difference on your score.

Hrm not on my file; had one card go from <1% to ~67% and score didn't budge but I don't have a clean file.  Aggregate seems to dominate until you get to the >80% or >90% of individual balances on a card in my personal experience.

Something go to test on a stupid SDFCU $250 secured card eventually for me.

        
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.