cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effects of spree with little history (was: if FICO rounds AAoA up to one year...)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Effects of spree with little history (was: if FICO rounds AAoA up to one year...)

More data, and now it's odd:

The PRG posted to equifax and caused a 6 point drop in my score, which is now just a hair lower than my Experian score. Two things are odd:

1 - It had no effect on my Experian score when it posted there

2 - My Experian score, which is now higher, is the one with more inquiries

So now oddly my EX score dropped to 711 just below my EQ score at 713, even though my EX one looks worse as it has the most inquiries. As far as I can see there are no other differences, except perhaps myfico is working off an old copy of my report and isn't propertly tracking via the "alerts" it gets?

Not sure I understand what is happening there. EQ through their website, EX I am monitoring through myfico. I can't see my TU score.

Message 31 of 42
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Effects of spree with little history (was: if FICO rounds AAoA up to one year...)

We have virtually no data on the explicit differences between the bureaus other than they are different.

Posted a thread on 1 vs 2 balances, my scores are all over map by a large margin.  TU has one less installment account, has 1 inquiry, EQ has 2 inquiries, EX has 0 inquiries.  The score difference is a mess in my opinion, can see why the lenders complained on that.

        
Message 32 of 42
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

More data, and now it's odd:

The PRG posted to equifax and caused a 6 point drop in my score, which is now just a hair lower than my Experian score. Two things are odd:

1 - It had no effect on my Experian score when it posted there

2 - My Experian score, which is now higher, is the one with more inquiries

So now oddly my EX score dropped to 711 just below my EQ score at 713, even though my EX one looks worse as it has the most inquiries. As far as I can see there are no other differences, except perhaps myfico is working off an old copy of my report and isn't propertly tracking via the "alerts" it gets?

Not sure I understand what is happening there. EQ through their website, EX I am monitoring through myfico. I can't see my TU score.

It would be very odd if all your scores were exactly the same. Each CRA updates new information at different times and the models are slightly different. Most people, if they are lucky, can get their scores within about 10 points of each other but it is a very rare occurance when all three scores match.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 33 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure, they updated a few days apart. I saw the PRG update into each report. I just thought it was strange that when it did it resulted in no score change on EQ but a small point drop on EX.

Actually EX updated several days before myfico noticed, but there has been no subsequent change to my EQ data since (no utilization changes, no new inquiries). 

Inquiries are the only things that differ between my reports, and EQ has one more than EX. 

Message 34 of 42
iv
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:
jamie made a compelling argument that it wasn't possible under a FICO 8 model to hit an 850 with an account under 2 years of age that I haven't tried to verify yet but I trust his insight as at least possible.

Hmm. I'll probably be in a position to check on that by the end of the year - I was at FICO 8 850s prior to opening a new HELOC, a new mortgage, and a new credit card over a six month period last year (for me, that's a "spree"....)

After everything reported, they dropped to 821/823/825 (and the mortgage scores also dropped 20-ish points).

Sometime in Nov or Dec this year, the inquiries will all have stopped counting, and all three accounts will still be under 2 years old.

We'll see what happens... for what it's (not) worth, the score simulator here was claiming recovery by December.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 35 of 42
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@iv wrote:

@Revelate wrote:
jamie made a compelling argument that it wasn't possible under a FICO 8 model to hit an 850 with an account under 2 years of age that I haven't tried to verify yet but I trust his insight as at least possible.

Hmm. I'll probably be in a position to check on that by the end of the year - I was at FICO 8 850s prior to opening a new HELOC, a new mortgage, and a new credit card over a six month period last year (for me, that's a "spree"....)

After everything reported, they dropped to 821/823/825 (and the mortgage scores also dropped 20-ish points).

Sometime in Nov or Dec this year, the inquiries will all have stopped counting, and all three accounts will still be under 2 years old.

We'll see what happens... for what it's (not) worth, the score simulator here was claiming recovery by December.

Oooh I'd love to see the data point on that when you start getting them!

        
Message 36 of 42
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@iv wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Ditto. I too was at FICO 850s, eventually followed by a "spree". A new mortgage opened in December, along with a credit card and a personal loan in January.

Message 37 of 42
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

My EQ 08 hit 840 just in time for Labor Day. Smiley Very Happy

Message 38 of 42
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

My EQ 08 hit 840 just in time for Labor Day. Smiley Very Happy

Where was your score after your spree? Any 6 month milestones last month (such as youngest account)?

I would like to "do a spree" but want to know the pain associated with the gain.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 39 of 42
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My oldest card is 7 months, my AAoA 4 months, with the four cards in my siggy, newest from January. I have been told that FICO rounds AAoA up to 1 year when it is below a year.

So, why shouldn't I app spam? How can it hurt? I already have the lowest score possible for AAoA and likely near the lowest possible for new account penalty.

HP's will knock a few points off my score, but on the flip side adding cards now is like adding ballast, in a few years they will make my AAoA untouchable.

However I suspect there is a catch I'm not thinking of.

What's the catch?

One catch is that FICO isn't the sole criterion in extending credit.

The other is that it probably isn't true.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.