Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employer and Fico score

tag
cam
New Visitor
New Visitor

Employer and Fico score

I recently left my employer to go back to school.

They are saying that I was overpaid by $3500, which I don't understand since I was getting paychecks up until the day I left.

Anyhow my question is this, If I chose not to pay the amount back to them, could they legally place that information on my credit report and thus affect my fico score.  (My thinking is that I never agreed to any terms, payment plans, or signed any contract for service and therefore they wouldn't be allowed as a creditor and couldn't be placed on there.  what do you think or know about this?

Thanks,
Craig
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Employer and Fico score

I am not an expert, but if they think they have a valid legal case, they could just pass it on to a collection agancy and that will go on your report.

Or they could seek a judgement in court.

Have you asked WHY they think you owe them the money?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on how long it has been too. If past a period of time (ask a lawyer) they can not hold you responsible to pay it back. And before you do anything, you need to check all your records to make sure they are not wrong. Maybe they did not over pay you.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 06-10-2007 06:11 PM
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

cam wrote:
I recently left my employer to go back to school.

They are saying that I was overpaid by $3500, which I don't understand since I was getting paychecks up until the day I left.

Anyhow my question is this, If I chose not to pay the amount back to them, could they legally place that information on my credit report and thus affect my fico score.  (My thinking is that I never agreed to any terms, payment plans, or signed any contract for service and therefore they wouldn't be allowed as a creditor and couldn't be placed on there.  what do you think or know about this?

If you owed the money, it appears they could turn it over to a CA, seek a judgment against you in court, et al. However, the laws vary wildly from state to state. Even if the money were owed, the conditions of the debt might preclude the employer from suing and collecting.

For example, if the money owed were because your employer claims you took vacation in advance of earning it for the year, and there's no written agreement in place, then applicable federal law (I'm given to understand) places any claim by the employer VERY much in doubt. That's why most companies who will advance vacation days do have a written agreement on file.

Are you still in the same state? Does the employer have an office in your state? I ask because they'd have to sue either in your home state or the state where you resided when you worked for them.

For what are they claiming you owe them $3500?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just speculating until the OP posts again ...

In some cases, companies require a minimum employment period in order to offset the cost of formally training the employee. If the employee voluntarily leaves the job prior to the end of that minimum employment period, the employee is obligated to repay part or all of the training expense. Designed to keep employees from finishing the training and immediately leaving to work elsewhere in the same field. Could be where the $3500 came from (although it doesn't fit the "overpaid" description) ...

Message Edited by Revike on 06-11-2007 02:46 PM
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, i believe some financial firms do that. If they sponsor you to get some sort of license or whatever, they require you to work with them for a certain period of time.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.