Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax FICO Scoring....uuughh!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax FICO Scoring....uuughh!

Hi

I've had issues with Equifax increasing my score by over 170 pts in one alert then it decreased by the same number of points the next week and they can't give me a reason why.   Now for my second issue with them.....i recently paid down my credit card balance to under 20% utl.  Well today I received a FICO alert abt the balance decrease for my Experian report and my score  increased by 4 pts.  I know it's not much but every point helps.  Also later today, I received another FICO alert abt THE SAME balance decrease reported on my Equifax but it said ZERO score increase... Whats wrong with Equifax?  My score should've increased by even 1 point...   If Experian increased from the same account, why not Equifax?  Equifax is  always the lowest of all three.  Has anyone else had a problem with Equifax?   

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Equifax FICO Scoring....uuughh!

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi

I've had issues with Equifax increasing my score by over 170 pts in one alert then it decreased by the same number of points the next week and they can't give me a reason why.   Now for my second issue with them.....i recently paid down my credit card balance to under 20% utl.  Well today I received a FICO alert abt the balance decrease for my Experian report and my score  increased by 4 pts.  I know it's not much but every point helps.  Also later today, I received another FICO alert abt THE SAME balance decrease reported on my Equifax but it said ZERO score increase... Whats wrong with Equifax?  My score should've increased by even 1 point...   If Experian increased from the same account, why not Equifax?  Equifax is  always the lowest of all three.  Has anyone else had a problem with Equifax?   

For me EQ my highest score, however EQ is the bane for a lot of other people 

In regards to your question about EQ not reacting the same as EX, the short answer is "that is normal" the longer answer is that the FICO algorithm is slightly "tweaked" for each CRA so it is expected that the same event has slightly different effects on scores. It should also be expected that the scores across all 3 CRA to NOT be the same even with identical information on each

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi

I have never had a pleasant experience over the phone,  or with their responses to mailed disputes and yes, score updates.  Their scores are wild and quite frankly, I have no idea if their algorithms are close to what the other bureaus use. I wish the CRAs were broken up. They have a monopoly; they are inefficient and corrupt.  Equifax is a criminal enterprise and the phone reps are shady af.  

The other contributor here, made a few good points.  I noticed too that Equifax has a separate "Equifax score" or Credit Score in addition to their FICO score.  My utilization with them is nearly 25 percentage points higher than TU and EX.  Also, *getting your util down to 20% - unless you moved from 30% - will not yield you more points, because you are still at "good" utilization 10-29%.  We get more points back when cross a threshold; so, when you get below 50%, 30%, 10%, you get points back.  I'm hoping someone else here -if they haven't already - might add more clarity.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both of you make very excellent points. And 0P if you’d like to learn more, read the scoring primer linked at the top of my signature.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

EQ is the devil👿  My EQ score is close to 100 points lower than my other scores.  All because EQ punishes people who actually pay off debts rather than let them charge off.  Like I said they are the devil and I curse them to the pits of Hades.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.