cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax and Transunion near 750. Experian 660???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax and Transunion near 750. Experian 660???

Do I have to  pay Experian to get proper   FICO score?  Most lenders look at Experian.  I am screwed.   This should be illegal 

Thanks for help.

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Equifax and Transunion near 750. Experian 660???

From where are you getting your scores? 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply.   

For Experian it is their website.

For EQ and Trans  multiple places including credit karma and several. Creditcards.  

'

Also Apple Card  did not approve me because they say I have a 660 fico score.   I have probably spent 100k on apple products.  Sick system we have.  

Message 3 of 35
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the reply.   

For Experian it is there website.

For EQ and Trans  multiple places including credit karma and several. Creditcards.  

'

Also Apple Card  did not approve me because they say I have a 660 fico score.   I have probably spent 100k on apple products.  Sick system we have.  

Ok... before you start hating the system.. lol.. let's break this down a bit.    

The score from the Experian website is your Experian FICO 8 score. 

The Transuion & Equifax scores from Credit Karma are not FICO scores.  Credit Karma offers scores of the Vantage 3 model which is different from FICO and used by very few, if any, lenders to make credit decisions.   Vantage scores can differ from FICO scores but as much as +/- 100 points because it weighs various aspects of your credit profile differently.   Credit Karma is great for monitoring activity on your reports -- but the scores provided are not very useful for obtaining credit as the overwhelming majority of lenders use FICO so you need to be monitoring your FICO scores. 

Also understand that you have a total of 28 different FICO versions (incl. mortgage, auto, bankcard, and FICO 9) and lenders may use any of the 28 they see fit (though FICO 8 version is the most common).   The scores you're getting from various credit cards may be one of the 28 FICO versions OR a Vantage score (since Vantage is free, many lenders offer that to their consumers) - you have to read the small print or the FAQs to find out which model they are providing. 

To get all 3 FICO scores, you can sign up for Experian's 7-day trial.  That will let you know where you stand with  FICO 8 on Transunion & Equifax also, just be sure to cancel before the trial ends if you do not want to be charged the monthly membership fee. 

If you want to know all 28 of your scores, you'll have to sign up for the myFICO credit service, which is more costly but very informative. 

Once you get all 3 of your FICO 8 scores,  you can report back and provide more detailed info on your credit profile and we can help figure out what you can do to raise your scores. 

If a refinance is your goal (per your signature), then you would need to know your mortgage scores -- which are FICO versions 5, 4, and 2.  You can only get all three of them from myFICO  (however, version 2 can be obtained from the Experian service - both free and paid -  since it's an Experian FICO score).  FICO mortgage versions behave differently than the other FICO versions so it's a good idea to know where those stand so we can advise how best to increase them for your goal. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the  detail  info.  I am aware of these different scores and right now. Refinance is not my goal.  I need to change that.  I decided I will sell my properties instead.

A little background:

all 3 credit bureaus were reporting were in mid 600 until I relealized that adding credit  would actual boost my score . Sick system.  As soon as I added 3 cards in one month, my score on EQ and Trans jumped over 50 pts.   Experian did not move  reporting same info.  That was two years ago.  Since then I have two more credit cards.

EQ and trans rewards me for paying off credit cards every month.   Experian  does noting.    Does not move   Just penalizes me if I go above 10% utilization in a month and does not even recognize that I have paid  off cards.    I can look at past reports and is the same. 

Message 5 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornback wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the reply.   

For Experian it is there website.

'

Ok... before you start hating the system.. lol.. let's break this down a bit.    

The score from the Experian website is your Experian FICO 8 score. 

The Transuion & Equifax scores from Credit Karma are not FICO scores.  Credit Karma offers scores of the Vantage 3 model which is different from FICO and used by very few, if any, lenders to make credit decisions.   Vantage scores can differ from FICO scores but as much as +/- 100 points because it weighs various aspects of your credit profile differently.   Credit Karma is great for monitoring activity on your reports -- but the scores provided are not very useful for obtaining credit as the overwhelming majority of lenders use FICO so you need to be monitoring your FICO scores. 

Also understand that you have a total of 28 different FICO versions (incl. mortgage, auto, bankcard, and FICO 9) and lenders may use any of the 28 they see fit (though FICO 8 version is the most common).   The scores you're getting from various credit cards may be one of the 28 FICO versions OR a Vantage score (since Vantage is free, many lenders offer that to their consumers) - you have to read the small print or the FAQs to find out which model they are providing. 

To get all 3 FICO scores, you can sign up for Experian's 7-day trial.  That will let you know where you stand with  FICO 8 on Transunion & Equifax also, just be sure to cancel before the trial ends if you do not want to be charged the monthly membership fee. 

If you want to know all 28 of your scores, you'll have to sign up for the myFICO credit service, which is more costly but very informative. 

Once you get all 3 of your FICO 8 scores,  you can report back and provide more detailed info on your credit profile and we can help figure out what you can do to raise your scores. 

If a refinance is your goal (per your signature), then you would need to know your mortgage scores -- which are FICO versions 5, 4, and 2.  You can only get all three of them from myFICO  (however, version 2 can be obtained from the Experian service - both free and paid -  since it's an Experian FICO score).  FICO mortgage versions behave differently than the other FICO versions so it's a good idea to know where those stand so we can advise how best to increase them for your goal. 

+1

Message 6 of 35
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the  detail  info.  I am aware of these different scores and right now. Refinance is not my goal.  I need to change that.  I decided I will sell my properties instead.

A little background:

all 3 credit bureaus were reporting were in mid 600 until I relealized that adding credit  would actual boost my score . Sick system.  As soon as I added 3 cards in one month, my score on EQ and Trans jumped over 50 pts.   Experian did not move  reporting same info.  That was two years ago.  Since then I have two more credit cards.

EQ and trans rewards me for paying for credit cards every month.   Experian  does noting.    Does not move   Just penalizes me if I go above 10% utilization in a month and does not even recognize that I have paid  off cards.    I can look at past reports and is the same. 

So the EQ & TU scores you mentioned being near 750 -- those are FICO 8 scores?   We're not comparing FICO 8 to FICO 9 or something, right? 

Do any derogatory accounts/public records/ late payments exist on Experian that do not appear on EQ & TU? Any other differences between the reports such as account age?   There has to be something on Experian that's suppressing the score.  Any details you can offer would be helpful. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 7 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only derogatory info on EXperian is Credit utilization.   It got as high as 49% total as I went on vacation last month,  but it is way under 10% now and  I pay off every month.  Trans Union  and EQ are seeing the higher utilization but actually boost my credits score  18pts when make large payments.   Experian does nothing when I make payments.  

Message 8 of 35
thornback
Senior Contributor

That's not possible.   It's not possible that the score doesn't change at all when you drop from 49% util to 10% util.   Did the score change when util increased from x% to 49%?   

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 9 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornback wrote:

That's not possible.   It's not possible that the score doesn't change at all when you drop from 49% util to 10% util.   Did the score change when util increased from x% to 49%?   

No it is always around 660 no matter what I do on Experian.  There were a few things I needed to clear up on Experian  a while back, but did not change my score.  

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.