cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax goes down, but TU & EX go up? (acct with balance)

tag
robz71lm7
Established Member

Equifax goes down, but TU & EX go up? (acct with balance)

My score got dinged last month because I didn't have any balances shown on my report and it listed these as negative factors in red on my TU and EX reports.  So I left $79 on a card (0% apr) with a $1500 limit.  So on my new report with the balance TU and EX both list my recent CC use as a positive and my score jumped.  However, EQ lists that I have too many (1 acct) accounts with balances as a negative-my EQ score dropped as a result.  Is it because I only have 3 active cards-thus making 1 with a balance too many? 

CC1  0/1500  23 months old
CC2  79/1500 8 months old
CC3  0/6000 1 year old
Old Installment PIF 1 year old

Eq 731 (was 736)
Tu 767 (was 751)
Ex 765  (was 745)

Misc Mortgage inquries on all three reports from August to present.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax goes down, but TU & EX go up? (acct with balance)

Do the same this month. EQ must be on something.

There also seems to be a delay in the updated report with the FICO update of a few days. So if you pulled the report right after the accounts updated- wait for the SW.

@robz71lm7 wrote:
My score got dinged last month because I didn't have any balances shown on my report and it listed these as negative factors in red on my TU and EX reports. So I left $79 on a card (0% apr) with a $1500 limit. So on my new report with the balance TU and EX both list my recent CC use as a positive and my score jumped. However, EQ lists that I have too many (1 acct) accounts with balances as a negative-my EQ score dropped as a result. Is it because I only have 3 active cards-thus making 1 with a balance too many?
CC1 0/1500 23 months old
CC2 79/1500 8 months old
CC3 0/6000 1 year old
Old Installment PIF 1 year old
Eq 731 (was 736)
Tu 767 (was 751)
Ex 765 (was 745)
Misc Mortgage inquries on all three reports from August to present.

Message 2 of 9
steffiejoe
Contributor

Equifax is my lowest score 703. While EX is 780, and TU 746.

They have always been my lowest.
Your credit score
Source: Equifax Date: April 29, 2015
Message 3 of 9
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

robz71lm7 wrote:
  However, EQ lists that I have too many (1 acct) accounts with balances as a negative-my EQ score dropped as a result.  Is it because I only have 3 active cards-thus making 1 with a balance too many? 

This seems to be EQs latest idiosyncrasy, I got the same thing.  And I cannot pay off my mortgage to increase my score.

EQ is doing some funny things recently - look at this one:

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My EQ score doesn't make any sense these days too. I wait every day for the weirdness to return to normal. Started getting weird the same time as everyone else's about 2-3 weeks ago.
Message 5 of 9
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

ilovepizza wrote:
My EQ score doesn't make any sense these days too. I wait every day for the weirdness to return to normal. Started getting weird the same time as everyone else's about 2-3 weeks ago.

And I am still waiting for SW to notice a 39 point increase!  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

My advice is NOT to listen to or rely upon TU or EX unless you know your lender uses them.  They use Advantage scoring, which has the extra category of balances, in addition to %util.  They use a six category model, whereas the real FICO/EQ uses only the five category FairIsaac model.  A totally different scoring algorithm... and not the industry standard.  If the lender you are migrating towards uses the FAKO Advantange scores offered by TU and EX (which is doubtful),, then care about it.  Otherwise, I would put their score, along with any comments or advice offered in their CRs, into the FAKO trash can.  I have one in my bath room, if you need to use it.  Advice and scores offered by the CRAs are only useful if the lender is using them.  Most lenders use FICO, and not the FAKO, so dont be mislead by their scores or advice. 
My understanding, from what has been disclosed about the scoring algorithms, is that all take into account the amount of balances outstanding, and not just %util.  But Advantage (TU/EX) makes it a separate category in their model, thus making balances outstanding a more prominent factor.  EQ/FICO includes it under utilization,and it thus appears can be more readily offset, in a non-zero sum algorithm, if overall %util is lower.  Balance alone, or viewed in terms of %util. Just my experience.
Take your dis-Advantage or your FICO.  Just know what the lendor is taking. 

Message Edited by RobertEG on 10-16-2007 09:52 PM

Message Edited by RobertEG on 10-16-2007 09:57 PM
Message 7 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@robz71lm7 wrote:
My score got dinged last month because I didn't have any balances shown on my report and it listed these as negative factors in red on my TU and EX reports. So I left $79 on a card (0% apr) with a $1500 limit. So on my new report with the balance TU and EX both list my recent CC use as a positive and my score jumped. However, EQ lists that I have too many (1 acct) accounts with balances as a negative-my EQ score dropped as a result. Is it because I only have 3 active cards-thus making 1 with a balance too many?

OP,just to confirm, are these FICO scores? Because if they are FAKO's, not only are the scores pretty much worthless, but the advice and commentary that come with FAKO's are frequently irrelevant and sometimes directly opposed to FICO scoring logic. just checking
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 9
robz71lm7
Established Member

The scores are all FICO purchased from myFICO.  My report read similar to what Midnight's did. It said I had too many account with balances (1) and that high scorers have 3 or fewer.   This was listed as a negative. 
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.