cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax website scores are significantly lower than Experian...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax website scores are significantly lower than Experian...

I been trying to work on my credit and Experian website shows my scores are ex 636, Equifax 621, trans 636... Equifax site shows ex 504, Equifax 536, trans 478.... My questions are,

why is there such a huge difference between the sites?

which site is more accurate?

And should I worry about the difference in sites.

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax website scores are significantly lower than Experian...

@Anonymous wrote:
I been trying to work on my credit and Experian website shows my scores are ex 636, Equifax 621, trans 636... Equifax site shows ex 504, Equifax 536, trans 478.... My questions are,

why is there such a huge difference between the sites?

which site is more accurate?

And should I worry about the difference in sites.

Experian's website shows your genuine FICO scores while Equifax's scores are computed using their own proprietary scoring model. 

As Equifax's website states:

"Equifax® 3-Bureau credit scores are each based on the Equifax Credit Score model, but calculated using the information in your Equifax, Experian® and TransUnion® credit files. Third parties use many different types of credit scores and will not use the Equifax 3-Bureau credit scores to assess your creditworthiness."

Experian is the site to rely on since FICO scores are what most lenders use.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much.... So I shouldn't even look or worry about what EQ site says? Just stick to Experian site?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you so much.... So I shouldn't even look or worry about what EQ site says? Just stick to Experian site?

Correct.

Message 4 of 7
Abby4
Established Member

I am trying to get a HELOC with a low interest rate, I was told by the underwriters that they use my Equifax score, so I go to Equifax.com  pay $15.95 a month and get a 691 score, then , I go to myFICO.com pay 39.95 a month and get an Equifax score of 641, so I see there is nothing to believe about anyone of them, except they are getting $55 a month from me.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Abby4 wrote:

I am trying to get a HELOC with a low interest rate, I was told by the underwriters that they use my Equifax score, so I go to Equifax.com  pay $15.95 a month and get a 691 score, then , I go to myFICO.com pay 39.95 a month and get an Equifax score of 641, so I see there is nothing to believe about anyone of them, except they are getting $55 a month from me.

What you need to ask the underwriters is which EQ score they use.  There are easily 10+ EQ scores out there and trying to compare one to another is like comparing apples to oranges.  Once you find out which score they are using, you can obtain that same score to see where you stand.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My advice is to look at your credit report with all three of the CBs and make sure that you don't have any disputable items holding you back.  Even when you get all of the actual scores they will have variance.  In your case with your scores so low I am sure there are items on some credit reports but not others.  For example NFCU reports to EQ and TU but not Experian so if you had a baddie with them it would not appear with Experian.  As part of your rebuild I suggest paying to have regular access to your scores and alerts.  I was where you are score wise 4 years ago and now hover in the low 700's.  I did it from the help of the fine people here, diputing, settling and letting baddies age or get removed and finally learning how my behaviors impacted my scores which is where the alerts really do a good job of teaching.  That access is expensive but what I have learned has saved me far more that what I spent.

Finally, don't ignore any score or alert.  Take them all in context after you have verified the accuracy of the CB data.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.