Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expecting New Accounts to hit report

tag
learningcredit54
Regular Contributor

Expecting New Accounts to hit report

So I just got my score up to an acceptable number to apply for better cards and have been approved for 4 new credit card accounts which should be hitting my report within the next few weeks. How much can I expect my score to drop per account being added? I understand this will have a direct affect on "age of accounts", I am just not sure just how bad the drop will be.

Business Cards:
Amex Business Plus: 6000 // Amex Business Hilton Honors: 3000 // Amex Delta Gold: 4900 // Amex Business Platinum NPSL POT 5000 // Amex Business Gold NPSL POT 15000

Personal Cards:
Discover It Cash Back: 8000 // Chase Saphire Preferred: 5000 // Truist Enjoy Beyond: 4500 // Amex Blue Cash Preferred: 1000 // Cap1SavorOne: 2000 // Cap1 Secured Platinum: 200 // Cap1 QuiksilverOne 2000 // Citi Double Cash: 5200 // Amex Platinum NPSL POT 4000 // Amex Gold NPSL POT 1750

GOAL SCORES 750 ACROSS
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Expecting New Accounts to hit report

@learningcredit54 wrote:

So I just got my score up to an acceptable number to apply for better cards and have been approved for 4 new credit card accounts which should be hitting my report within the next few weeks. How much can I expect my score to drop per account being added? I understand this will have a direct affect on "age of accounts", I am just not sure just how bad the drop will be.

That would be an impossible question to answer, even if we knew the details of your credit profile, which we don't.

Suffice it to say that it should be significant.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Why should it matter? Congrats on 4 approvals. Spread apps out next time. I lost 20+ points with 3 cards and a new crossover. Thats why I raised my scores to do so. Didnt care where they landed. Do know when I get into that sweet ride below. I worked for it and earned it. Scores are slowly rebounding now a year later.

Message 3 of 9
learningcredit54
Regular Contributor

@SouthJamaicayou're right - it would be hard without knowing the details of my credit profile. I guess I was wondering if there was a typical range in drop per new account (which i now know there isn't). Thanks for the reply

Business Cards:
Amex Business Plus: 6000 // Amex Business Hilton Honors: 3000 // Amex Delta Gold: 4900 // Amex Business Platinum NPSL POT 5000 // Amex Business Gold NPSL POT 15000

Personal Cards:
Discover It Cash Back: 8000 // Chase Saphire Preferred: 5000 // Truist Enjoy Beyond: 4500 // Amex Blue Cash Preferred: 1000 // Cap1SavorOne: 2000 // Cap1 Secured Platinum: 200 // Cap1 QuiksilverOne 2000 // Citi Double Cash: 5200 // Amex Platinum NPSL POT 4000 // Amex Gold NPSL POT 1750

GOAL SCORES 750 ACROSS
Message 4 of 9
learningcredit54
Regular Contributor

@FireMedic1thanks for the approval. I truly appreciate it. The only reason I am a bit worried is because I dont want the drop to be so bad that my new creditors reach out stating that because of my new score I no longer fit the criteria for their cards. Lets see what happens. Thanks for the feedback

Business Cards:

Personal Cards:

GOAL SCORES 750 ACROSS
Message 5 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Thats kinda rare unless you got a bunch of 20k+ cards and income is getting close. Even then. Doesnt come up often. More Sync closed all my accounts for no apparant reason threads than AA on new accounts. Enjoy the new

Message 6 of 9
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Like already said, no way to know how much of a drop. 

Typically closure of new accounts have less to do with score drops and more of the fact some lenders are sensitive to credit seeking behavior like opening 4 accounts quickly. Chase and US Bank are two who will SP your report after opening a new account to watch for credit seeking behavior. 

Message 7 of 9
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

You haven't shared who the creditors are, but as firemedic points out it is possible for AA (Adverse Action). There have been stories on the forums about AA during a spree of new accounts, so it is possible to actually get an account closed or a CL lowered. Each situtaion is unique, so it may not be AA just for a score alone since most creditors do SPs to check up depending on what risks they are looking for.

Most of us breeze through and accept conditions when we get the rush from an approval. Lots of fine print we are accepting when we get a new account.

JOINED 4/2020

FICO 8 = 582, 620, 589 / Mortgage = 633, 526, 581

CURRENT PEAK *Thanks to the MF Community!

FICO 8 = 715, 711, 720 / Mortgage = 688, 696, 681

Message 8 of 9
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@learningcredit54 wrote:

@SouthJamaicayou're right - it would be hard without knowing the details of my credit profile. I guess I was wondering if there was a typical range in drop per new account (which i now know there isn't). Thanks for the reply

I lost about 50 points when I got a new card, but that's probably close to the upper limit. I'm a new/thin file and had a significant drop of age (due to an old AU card). People with thicker files and a couple years of personal credit history will lose much less. Also, each new account is a smaller drop. That was FICO 8. FICO 9 wasn't affected nearly as much.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.