cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Jumps +51 Points But Don’t Know Why?

tag
cf2701
Regular Contributor

Experian Jumps +51 Points But Don’t Know Why?

I just got an alert that my Experian score jumped +51 points but can’t identify the cause?

I love it, great surprise. But the MYFICO alert was attached to very small CLI on my Discover account. That’s it? I know that can’t be what triggers it?

I had my BK 13 updated to reflect “dismisses” instead of open, but that was a few weeks ago? Everything I read online said updating that wouldn’t impact my score?

Could an single account aging 24 months make your score jump that much maybe?
BBVA Clearpoints $16,000 | Discover $13,900 | CECU Visa $10,000 | NFCU Go Rewards Visa Sig. $18,500 | NFCU CLOC $15,000 | PayPal CB MC $10,000 | Paypal Credit $10,000 | Card $7,500 | AMX Hilton Honors Ascend $2,000 | Wayfair $23,900 | Sportsmans Guide Visa $12,400 | Kohls $3,000 | Capital One Savor One $3,500 | PNC Cash Rewards $17,000 | PenFed Power Cash Rewards $10,000 | PenFed Gold $10,000 | Lowe's $20,000 | Best Buy Visa $4,000 | Home Depot $4,000 | NFCU Platinum $25,000
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
silver_idle
Established Contributor

Re: Experian Jumps +51 Points But Don’t Know Why?

@cf2701 wrote:
I just got an alert that my Experian score jumped +51 points but can’t identify the cause?

I love it, great surprise. But the MYFICO alert was attached to very small CLI on my Discover account. That’s it? I know that can’t be what triggers it?

I had my BK 13 updated to reflect “dismisses” instead of open, but that was a few weeks ago? Everything I read online said updating that wouldn’t impact my score?

Aging (for both inquiries and accounts), reduction in utilization (with the CLI, that can reduce your overall utilization if it been reported) and possibly the BK13 being dismissed. You'd be surprised what can raise your score.

Message 2 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@cf2701 wrote:

No, it couldn't. It was something else.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

It could also be a combination of things happening (CLI + BK discharge (I'm assuming you mean discharged, not dismissed; big difference) + utilization drop + history aging) could've possibly all cumulatively contributed to that 51 point boost. It may not necessarily be tied to just one single event.

In any case, rejoice! That's a huge boost.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 9
cf2701
Regular Contributor

Thanks for all the input everyone.  

I found the cause.  It was lates on a student loan, big lates.  I guess I missed that because they dropped from my other two reports (well sort of, TU has no lates but is showing them closed derog and its killing my score).  

But it appears a 90 day late was to age off @ 7 yrs and there was two 120 day lates the next two months that they took off all at the same time.  So that makes complete sense...duh!  

Either way, I'm rejoicing.  It feels amazing to have decent credit! Its been a long time coming. EQ and EX good, now..on to TU.  

BBVA Clearpoints $16,000 | Discover $13,900 | CECU Visa $10,000 | NFCU Go Rewards Visa Sig. $18,500 | NFCU CLOC $15,000 | PayPal CB MC $10,000 | Paypal Credit $10,000 | Card $7,500 | AMX Hilton Honors Ascend $2,000 | Wayfair $23,900 | Sportsmans Guide Visa $12,400 | Kohls $3,000 | Capital One Savor One $3,500 | PNC Cash Rewards $17,000 | PenFed Power Cash Rewards $10,000 | PenFed Gold $10,000 | Lowe's $20,000 | Best Buy Visa $4,000 | Home Depot $4,000 | NFCU Platinum $25,000
Message 5 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yup, a 90 day and two 120 day lates are killer, and getting all three off at once sounds like it should give a significant boost. Glad you figured it out.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats and GL2U with TU.
Message 7 of 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Glad you were able to figure it out. That's great they removed the string of delinquency instead of one by one. Congratulations!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Were those lates on student loans that are still open, or have they been paid off and closed? My scores have been going through similar fluctuation due to student loan accounts inconsistently reporting. I have 8 student loans open, which were in administrative forbearance during BK which was discharged in Nov 2019, and not all CRA's are up to date yet. FICO 8's were sitting in high 500's when they were reporting the 8 accounts as 'derog/closed, IIB' until this weekend - EXP updated the accounts to 'current' and FICO jumped from 584 to 681. When I saw my FAKO on TU do a similar jump, I knew they had updated the accounts too. Sadly, Equifax FAKO hasn't budged so that's the lagging one for me. I disputed the closed accounts a month ago (probably too soon after discharge), but they did update quickly after disputing.  

If it's been more than 2 months and your TU account still isn't reporting the loans as open, I'd consider disputing them, since it's really dragging down your score. If it's only been 1-2 months, give them more time? My loans are through FedLoan and they report at the end of each month, so any changes take about 2 months to update. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.