cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian score in my Cap1 approval letter 60 points lower than on Experian's site????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian score in my Cap1 approval letter 60 points lower than on Experian's site????

I recently was approved for CapitalOne's Venture card, and in the approval letter in the mail, they attached a "Credit Score Disclosure Notice" which says the following: 

Your credit score:    689

Source: Experian              Date: 6/21/2019

 

I was shocked because in the Experian app it shows my Fico 8 score as 749. Nothing has changed in my profile between June 21st and today (my score was even higher a week ago in the Experian app before the inquiry).

 

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

8 REPLIES 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Experian score in my Cap1 approval letter 60 points lower than on Experian's site????

I believe CapOne uses a different FICO version... not FICO 8, but EX FICO 2 or Bankcard Score 2/3...

The Experian app should provide all EX FICO versions - except FICO 9. Do any of them match the 689 score?
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  


Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experian score in my Cap1 approval letter 60 points lower than on Experian's site????

The Auto Score 2/8 are 690 and 699... but I don't know why that'd be relevant.

My others are:

713 - FICO Score 2

728 - FICO BankCard Score 8

718 - FICO BankCard Score 3

703 - FICO BankCard Score 2

 

None of the scores that could be relevant are particularly close... it still seems a bit strange.

Message 3 of 9
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Experian score in my Cap1 approval letter 60 points lower than on Experian's site????

Something does seem off. I guess you can call them and speak with the lending dept to try and determine where that score came from. Sorry, I've never had a CapOne card so my insight is limited - I just know I've read posts stating they use older FICO models. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in their practices will chime in and shed some light...
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  


Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Experian score in my Cap1 approval letter 60 points lower than on Experian's site????


@Anonymous wrote:

I recently was approved for CapitalOne's Venture card, and in the approval letter in the mail, they attached a "Credit Score Disclosure Notice" which says the following: 

Your credit score:    689

Source: Experian              Date: 6/21/2019

 

I was shocked because in the Experian app it shows my Fico 8 score as 749. Nothing has changed in my profile between June 21st and today (my score was even higher a week ago in the Experian app before the inquiry).

 

Anyone have any idea what's going on?


In my experience Capital One has always used EQ FICO 5. Perhaps there was a typo and they meant Equifax rather than Experian.


Total revolving limits 657200 (536700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 708

Message 5 of 9
kxkxkxx
Regular Contributor

Re: Experian score in my Cap1 approval letter 60 points lower than on Experian's site????

CapOne credit scores are crap....Don't let it bother you...I am in the mid 700's and CapOne still shows me in the 600's...their method for doing this has failed.

 

You are good...dont worry!

Current FICO 8 Scores
EQ 759
TU 748
EX 744
Message 6 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Experian score in my Cap1 approval letter 60 points lower than on Experian's site????

If it doesn't say FICO in the score disclosure it isn't.

 

Also see if there's a scoring range too, that can often say what it is.  

 

Historically Cap One has used a mix of FICO and Vantage but I don't know what they're on today, might have come up with their own internal score as well they're certainly big enough and have the capability to do that with their analytics arm.




        
Message 7 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Experian score in my Cap1 approval letter 60 points lower than on Experian's site????


@Revelate wrote:

If it doesn't say FICO in the score disclosure it isn't.

 

Also see if there's a scoring range too, that can often say what it is.  

 

Historically Cap One has used a mix of FICO and Vantage but I don't know what they're on today, might have come up with their own internal score as well they're certainly big enough and have the capability to do that with their analytics arm.


I have never heard of them using Vantage for credit decisions.


Total revolving limits 657200 (536700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 708

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experian score in my Cap1 approval letter 60 points lower than on Experian's site????


@SouthJamaica wrote:


I have never heard of them using Vantage for credit decisions.


I hadn't either until recently, but in the past few months I've seen 2 or 3 posts where members have referenced Cap One providing a VS 3.0 score in reference to a lending decision. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.