Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expiran FICO's much lower than TU and EQ

tag
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

Expiran FICO's much lower than TU and EQ

I was wondering why my FICO 08 scores with EX are 34-46 points lower that TU and EQ. 

Example:

FICO 08's

EX -  545

TU - 579

EQ - 591

All reports seem to have the same data and dates aside from TU having an additional medical collections that will likely be coming off soon.

Other than that TU discrepency all reports show (3) collections, 3+ years old and (8) CO's, 4.75 years old.  Each also show the same (3) current positive tradelines, (2) revolvers and (1) SSL along with the same (7) old closed positive accounts.

Does EX treat derogs differently?  Bucket differently?

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Expiran FICO's much lower than TU and EQ

If literally everything is the same on all 3 accounts outside of that collection, then that collection is probably the culprit. You said it is coming off soon? When it does, I can see that score being more within range of the others, assuming all else is the same across all 3 bureaus.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 10
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@RonM21 wrote:
If literally everything is the same on all 3 accounts outside of that collection, then that collection is probably the culprit. You said it is coming off soon? When it does, I can see that score being more within range of the others, assuming all else is the same across all 3 bureaus.

Thank you.  The additional collection is on TU though...  EX is the low score. 

I will be takling the collections in Feb and March due to their then being past SOL.  I am two years away from 100% clean at this point.  Everything happened at once and fall off dates are all within a 2-3 month range.  I have a ways to go until clean but may be collection free in a couple months.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

A variance of that size while definitely on the outlier end of things isn't out of the realm of possibility.  The different bureaus can behave slightly differently when it comes to how the algorithm handles the data and generates a score. 

For example, if I go from 1 credit card with a reported balance to 8 (call) of my credit cards with a reported balance, my EX score ends up 10-15 points higher than TU/EQ, because EX doesn't care at all about number of cards with a balance.  There may very well be other profile factors that are handled differently depending on the bureau.

Message 4 of 10
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

Thank you.  I went over everything and see no obvious answer.  Six to nine months ago before continued positive payment history and further aging of derogs started bringing my TU and EQ up the last 60-70 points, EX was actually higher or equal to the other two.   When  I added my SSL, all three jumped 25 points +/- so that is not the cause.

In the long run it won't matter but I will likely break 600 on TU and EQ soon and will be lucky to top 550 as far as FICO 08 scores go.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -

Message 5 of 10
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

Are the collections paid or unpaid? If one of the collections is unpaid, the CA might be updating Experian monthly while not updating Equifax and TransUnion.

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 6 of 10
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@beutiful5678 wrote:

Are the collections paid or unpaid? If one of the collections is unpaid, the CA might be updating Experian monthly while not updating Equifax and TransUnion.

Collections are unpaid.  One, a Comcast bill is being pulled back as they figured out the equipoment was indeed returned in 2014.  The other two are Midland accounts 2-3 months from SOL.  I will take care of those then.  The extra account on TU is a medical bill that should have been paid by insurance so I think that will go away. 

I will check again on the reporting but have gone over reports line by line and can not find any differences.  I also noted that when my Discover Secured reported last week I had an alert of a positive score changes for EQ  but EX stayed the same via Experian.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -

Message 7 of 10
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

@beutiful5678 wrote:

Collections are unpaid.  One, a Comcast bill is being pulled back as they figured out the equipoment was indeed returned in 2014.  The other two are Midland accounts 2-3 months from SOL.  I will take care of those then.  The extra account on TU is a medical bill that should have been paid by insurance so I think that will go away. 

I will check again on the reporting but have gone over reports line by line and can not find any differences.  I also noted that when my Discover Secured reported last week I had an alert of a positive score changes for EQ  but EX stayed the same via Experian.

With Midland, there isn't much reason to wait to pay them as long as they are at least two years old (from DOFD). Midland has a policy stated on their website that they will delete paid collections as long as they are two years old. It's basically an automatic PFD.

https://www.midlandcreditonline.com/help-center/faqs-about-credit-reporting/

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 8 of 10
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@beutiful5678 wrote:

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

@beutiful5678 wrote:

With Midland, there isn't much reason to wait to pay them as long as they are at least two years old (from DOFD). Midland has a policy stated on their website that they will delete paid collections as long as they are two years old. It's basically an automatic PFD.

https://www.midlandcreditonline.com/help-center/faqs-about-credit-reporting/

Yes, I plan on doing that but was thinking of waiting until SOL date.  They have sent 70% discount offers before on the two accounts.  They are not small (total 17k)  I just fear inviting a lawsuit before February SOL expiration.  I am in limbo here...  I would rather just get it done now but worry about unintended consequences.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -

Message 9 of 10
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

The Gap is getting wider...   EX rose this month but EQ is widening the gap.  Again EX and EQ have identical info.  At least I broke 600 on EQ!

FICO 08's

EX -  557 +12

TU - 587 +8

EQ - 607  +16

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.