Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO 9 much lower than FICO 8????

tag
Lebrunrf
Valued Member

FICO 9 much lower than FICO 8????

My FICO 9 scores are ~100 points lower than My FICO 8 scores!!! Is this a common issue? Does FICO 9 place more weight on a certain metric?? This is actually my first post 🤷🏿‍♂️

F8 scores

Trans700

Exp 684

EQ 676

F9 scores

Trans 586

EX 582

EQ 557

10 REPLIES 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: FICO 9 much lower than FICO 8????

@Lebrunrf wrote:

My FICO 9 scores are ~100 points lower than My FICO 8 scores!!! Is this a common issue? Does FICO 9 place more weight on a certain metric?? This is actually my first post 🤷🏿‍♂️

F8 scores

Trans700

Exp 684l3

EQ 676

F9 scores

Trans 586

EX 582

EQ 557

@Lebrunrf  Welcome to myFICO. See message 1 The many flavors of FICO:__Editions, versions, and variations

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's definitely a major scoring metric such as a severe derog that's being considered by one version but not the other IMO to cause such a wild difference.  I'm not an expert by any means on the differences between the two algorithms, but I'm sure someone else will weigh in on it.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lebrunrf wrote:

F8 scores

Trans700

Exp 684

EQ 676

F9 scores

Trans 586

EX 582

EQ 557

Both me and my SO have had very large gaps between the F8s and F9s. Probably easily 100+ pts.

F9s really do not like derogs, at all. Especially number of them. As the derogs have decreased in number, F9s have steadily grown, closing the gap between F8s and F9s.

Message 4 of 11
Lebrunrf
Valued Member

thanks for your insight,  I was under the impression that F9 didn't weight paid collections as much in addition to medical bills paid or unpaid

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lebrunrf wrote:

thanks for your insight,  I was under the impression that F9 didn't weight paid collections as much in addition to medical bills paid or unpaid

I believe it is only paid medical collections, not all types of collections, paid, or especially unpaid.

You should always do your best to get PFD on collections because I have found that paid collections do nothing for your credit scores, and until the last collection comes off your credit reports, gains will be small to none. And while F9s pay no attention to paid medical collections, none of your other scores take that into consideration, and many lenders use F8 still, or even other score versions.

The only exception is "nuisance" collections, which is collections under $100. Those are also not factored into F9s as well as F8s. So, even if you pay them or have them remived, it will not change those specific scores. Again, all other score models do factor them in.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, what sort of negative items (number, severity, age) do you have on your CR?

Message 7 of 11
FlaDude
Established Contributor

My FICO 9's run 15-25 points higher than my 8's. I have no derogs reporting, so the suggestion above that F9 weighs derogs more heavily than F8 could explain the difference for me.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FlaDude wrote:

My FICO 9's run 15-25 points higher than my 8's. I have no derogs reporting, so the suggestion above that F9 weighs derogs more heavily than F8 could explain the difference for me.

I still think it's going to be profile dependent to some degree.  On my clean file I reached triple 850s on F8 I didn't have a single 850 on F9; my F9s were low 830s to low 840s at the time.  My F9s usually ran about 10-15 points behind my F8s and eventually my F9s "caught up" once my F8s maxed out.

Message 9 of 11
Lebrunrf
Valued Member

@Anonymous 

2016  patient first collection ( was a billing error on their part, I'm being stubborn) might have to swallow my pride and do PFD. Originally started out as ~$360 has ballooned since to $800+  will try to settle and get deleted. Also a charged off FIRST premier form 2018 which I hear is near impossible to get a PFD from them.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.