Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO/FAKO & new credit ?

tag
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

FICO/FAKO & new credit ?

i know that "new credit" takes 6 months to be scored. however, what if you have old credit accounts, too? is it still 6 months before new credit will be factored in? my fakos are going up but idk if my ficos are yet. still working on correcting my equifax file so i can sign up for score watch. bought fico score twice this month. too much $ to spend tracking my score!

i can see my utilization and all on my fako monitoring (quizzle, credit sesame) but like i said, idk if ficos doing the same yet. 

Starting Fico 8 Score: 571 EQ - 574 EX 605 TU Current Fico 8: 695 EQ 677 EX 709 TU
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO/FAKO & new credit ?

Once you have a score, barring data issues, every change may result in a change in score.  Would say all changes do but it's a grey area when some result in no change up or down.  Ergo, when you apply for new credit, right then and there it affects your resultant score.

Probably does on most FAKO's too for that matter but I don't know, don't care either haha Smiley Happy.

        
Message 2 of 6
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

i guess specifically, im wondering if after my new accounts report for the second time with lower utilization... will my fico go up? or will it have no effect until 6 months in?

Starting Fico 8 Score: 571 EQ - 574 EX 605 TU Current Fico 8: 695 EQ 677 EX 709 TU
Message 3 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@jbishop1001 wrote:

i guess specifically, im wondering if after my new accounts report for the second time with lower utilization... will my fico go up? or will it have no effect until 6 months in?

That all depends on your file.  I got consistent increases for the first year building out of a thinfile situation, after which there's been a large drop off in terms of improvements to the point my score flatlines for months at a time.

End of the day, any positive payment history helps, and every month of age on a tradeline and on a derogatory matters as well: time is our friend for improving all things FICO, arguably the most important thing rendering the rest of the algorithm moot assuming no new negatives are picked up and premised on the fact one has open tradelines reporting.

Really, I strongly suggest not worrying / obsessing over your credit score, it's not particularly healthy and can cause no end of fustruation when little things changing result in non-trivial swings of your score from month to month.

        
Message 4 of 6
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

i dont believe i am "obsessing." this topic is in understanding fico scoring and thats what im trying to do. i just want to know what to expect, being new to credit and all. i rarely get 100% of my questions answered as clear as i like, so i try to be as thourough as possible hoping for someone to answer who can accurately shed some light. whats frustrating, really, is having to research all the terminology and procedures and can be confusing on its own. simply asking a community is way easier. thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@jbishop1001 wrote:

The six months is just to generate a file long enough to get a score.  Once that file is established, whatever is added, subtracted, changed on your file is instant.  There's no wait on it.  FICO also has no memory on util, etc.  It scores what is on your file at that particular moment it pulls a score.

Now, if you have paid down the util, and it is significant enough, you could see a score change.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.