cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Policies That Need Serious Revision

tag

FICO Policies That Need Serious Revision

Over the years I have noticed monthly changes have in my credit score re balances in my credit card accounts. I have paid off my credit cards every month for more than twenty years, so those monthly balances should have very little effect of my credit score. This problem could be resolved by having the credit institutions also provide payment information on all accounts, so that the credit agencies will be able to witness the monthly payoffs. This would favorably effect millions of people by correcting this important omission. The second issue I just became aware of resulted from the effects of refinancing my mortgage. I recently engage in a refinancing of my home to dramatically reducing my monthly payment by more than 50% by reducing by balance by paying off 42% of the mortgage and a 5/8 percent reduction in my interest rate. I was very interested in seeing the favorable effect on my FICO score. Much to my amazement my score DROPPED by 41 points solely because I paid off one existing mortgage and establish a new account with another lender. In talking to a FICO person, she confirmed that this was the only reason my score dropped so significantly. The net result is that FICO can severely punish individuals who are attempting to improve there financial status by policies that have highly flawed priorities. Maybe FICO and the other agencies should be overseen by a governmental agency to insure that their rating are a fair assessment of their credit status for us.

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO Policies That Need Serious Revision

@6942 wrote:

Over the years I have noticed monthly changes have in my credit score re balances in my credit card accounts. I have paid off my credit cards every month for more than twenty years, so those monthly balances should have very little effect of my credit score. This problem could be resolved by having the credit institutions also provide payment information on all accounts, so that the credit agencies will be able to witness the monthly payoffs. This would favorably effect millions of people by correcting this important omission. The second issue I just became aware of resulted from the effects of refinancing my mortgage. I recently engage in a refinancing of my home to dramatically reducing my monthly payment by more than 50% by reducing by balance by paying off 42% of the mortgage and a 5/8 percent reduction in my interest rate. I was very interested in seeing the favorable effect on my FICO score. Much to my amazement my score DROPPED by 41 points solely because I paid off one existing mortgage and establish a new account with another lender. In talking to a FICO person, she confirmed that this was the only reason my score dropped so significantly. The net result is that FICO can severely punish individuals who are attempting to improve there financial status by policies that have highly flawed priorities. Maybe FICO and the other agencies should be overseen by a governmental agency to insure that their rating are a fair assessment of their credit status for us.

@6942 Credit institutions have the discretion as to some information that they report monthly. This is not the fault of the CRA. some institutions respect their customers privacy and give less information.

yes a refinancing can likely drop your score for very good reasons. Having a new account presents a higher risk. The hard inquiries correlate to a higher risk. The reduction in your average ages correspond to an elevated risk.

Unfortunately, your credit report does not catalog the reasoning for your actions, their justifications, nor their benefits. While you may be making wise credit decisions, the algorithm is blind and simply sees that you sought new credit, Which corresponds to an elevated risk.

The algorithm is objective, so it can't treat your refi different than someone else's if they are the same in all pertinent aspects and the profile is the same in all pertinent aspects. However depending upon before and after utilizations, ages and various other things, the score change can be unpredictable. 

i'm sorry it's not what you expected. 

Message 2 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

The age of your oldest open mortgage just changed from whatever it was to zero. Your B/L is likely near 100%. Your average age of mortgage loans was reduced as well as your average age of accounts. Plus inquiries. These are significant changes.
Message 3 of 33
Regular Contributor

Folks here like to say that action A correlates to risk factors that should result in a lower score because that's what the algorithm  says should happen. But get 10 people in a room, evaluate the person who made A happen, e.g. refi a mortgage but has 20 years of excellent credit, and 9 may say the algorithm is making an incorrect conclusion by lowering that person's credit score.

Sure, credit scores change because the algorithm says they should because that's how humans designed the algorithm but that doesn't mean the algorithm isn't being capricious. 

Today's credit scoring algorithms are rudimentary at best: they may deliver reasonable results in general but when it comes down to specific humans they can fail badly.

The threat of algorithms truly harming individuals is real. The OP makes a valid point that we need to guard against bad algorithms making bad decisions that affect people badly. But that'll never happen so just be sure y'all are on the right side of the algorithms.

Fico 8 Scores
7/2020: EQ - 842; TU - 832; EX - 848
10/2017: EQ - 823; TU - 835; EX - 824
05/2016: EQ - 712; TU - 706; EX - 710
11/2015: EQ - 694; TU - 651; EX - 653
5/2015: EQ - 670
5/2014: EQ - 653
11/2013: EQ - 645
05/2013: EQ - 656
11/2012: EQ - 646

Eight CCs ($179,500 CL, 0%-1% UTIL)
AoOA = 18.6 years, AAoA = 60 mos., AoYA = 18 mos.
One mortgage, one HELOC, no car loans.
Derogs from 2009 and 2010 now gone after 7 years. I started paying attention to credit scores in about 2014. It's taken a few years but credit scores are now good after starting in the high 500s back in 2011

Message 4 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@909 wrote:

Folks here like to say that action A correlates (correlation does NOT equal causation) to risk factors that should result in a lower score because that's what the algorithm  says should happen. But get 10 people in a room, evaluate the person who made A happen, e.g. refi a mortgage but has 20 years of excellent credit, and 9 may say the algorithm is making an incorrect conclusion by lowering that person's credit score.

Sure, credit scores change because the algorithm says they should because that's how humans designed the algorithm but that doesn't mean the algorithm isn't being capricious. 

Today's credit scoring algorithms are rudimentary at best: they may deliver reasonable results in general but when it comes down to specific humans they can fail badly.

The threat of algorithms truly harming individuals is real. The OP makes a valid point that we need to guard against bad algorithms making bad decisions that affect people badly. But that'll never happen so just be sure y'all are on the right side of the algorithms.

In reality, there will be no perfect system no matter what entity designs and maintains the system. You can't make everyone happy. 

In the matter of the OP, and others that see score drops and get frustrated, I think you need to look at the big picture. Does the score drop really mean anything in real life?  The OP built a score strong enough to achieve a better financial position and then took advantage of it.  New credit extended = slightly riskier credit profile. Now it's time to continue positive credit behavior and the score will respond properly.  Wax on, wax off. 

Message 5 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@909 wrote:

Folks here like to say that action A correlates to risk factors that should result in a lower score because that's what the algorithm  says should happen. But get 10 people in a room, evaluate the person who made A happen, e.g. refi a mortgage but has 20 years of excellent credit, and 9 may say the algorithm is making an incorrect conclusion by lowering that person's credit score.

@909 first and foremost, I totally agree with the bolded portion.

in reference to what proceeded that: People inherently take into account more than just the relevant data when coming to a conclusion, you're right. That's one of the advantages of using computers to make a lot of decisions, because they make the decisions based on the criteria set forth. Computers are not capable of capricious actions, like humans, that's one of the advantages of using them, imho.

Would those 10 people in the room be making that conclusion based on their feelings & experience, or only based on the data and the correlations shown by data research, or some mixture?

because I don't think there's anyone who can legitimatly argue against the fact of the correlation between opening new accounts and increased risk. That doesn't mean everyone that opens up a new account is going to default obviously, but you've got to admit the numbers are increased compared to those who do not. 

Humans may feel 20 years of perfect history warrants approval. I'd be willing to bet the algorithm still has the score quite high as well, which would likewise assist in approval. But does that mean a perfect score? Could there be no better risk?

So, I have to respectfully disagree regarding the algorithm being capricious. There is nothing erratic, unpredictable or whimsical about it. It follows established rules it's been programmed to follow.  Anyone with basic credit knowledge could've predicted a score decrease for the refi which in of itself refutes its being capricious.

Now, if you feed it the same data and come up with two different results, then yeah it's capricious, but that's not possible.

If it's following rules set forth to come to its answer, then there's nothing capricious or whimsical about it, imho; I would argue it is the antithesis of caprice. We may not like the answer, we may feel differently, but we like to have data confirm our conclusions and we actively try to conform it to do so. 

Confirmation bias is real. That's a great thing about

computers, they can be programmed to do something without bias. By the same token, they can be programmed to do something with bias, so your warning is on point. 

These algorithms were created and designed to predict risk based on the strength of correlations, without bias, something nearly impossible for a human to do, imho. 

does that mean some people get inappropriate scores? Sure nothings perfect and in implementing this system they have just divided us in the groups and that doesn't necessarily mean that we will perform like others in that group. But, it does mean that we had multiple correlations that seemed indicate we should be in that group. And for now that's as far as they have progressed. But don't worry, pretty soon AI will take over. Caprice may become ubiquitous then?

Message 6 of 33
Regular Contributor

Somewhat true. As an example, my FICO 8 scores are above 830, when I go to AZ instead of AZEO I see a 10 - 20 point drop. This exemplifies the low quality of the algorithm (not seeing that I've been AZEO for many months) but who cares.

Suggesting the big picture to someone applying for a mortgage and went to AZ thinking it is a good thing (who wouldn't except for nerds who hang out here) and lost 20 points dropping them below a treshold is terribly inconsiderate to that person. Going AZ for one month and losing 20 points makes sense only to defenders of a bad algorithm who don't see the harm caused to individuals. Oversight often isn't needed for the big picture, it's needed to protect individuals who fall through the cracks of the big picture.

Fico 8 Scores
7/2020: EQ - 842; TU - 832; EX - 848
10/2017: EQ - 823; TU - 835; EX - 824
05/2016: EQ - 712; TU - 706; EX - 710
11/2015: EQ - 694; TU - 651; EX - 653
5/2015: EQ - 670
5/2014: EQ - 653
11/2013: EQ - 645
05/2013: EQ - 656
11/2012: EQ - 646

Eight CCs ($179,500 CL, 0%-1% UTIL)
AoOA = 18.6 years, AAoA = 60 mos., AoYA = 18 mos.
One mortgage, one HELOC, no car loans.
Derogs from 2009 and 2010 now gone after 7 years. I started paying attention to credit scores in about 2014. It's taken a few years but credit scores are now good after starting in the high 500s back in 2011

Message 7 of 33
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@909 wrote:

Somewhat true. As an example, my FICO 8 scores are above 830, when I go to AZ instead of AZEO I see a 10 - 20 point drop. This exemplifies the low quality of the algorithm (not seeing that I've been AZEO for many months) but who cares.

Suggesting the big picture to someone applying for a mortgage and went to AZ thinking it is a good thing (who wouldn't except for nerds who hang out here) and lost 20 points dropping them below a treshold is terribly inconsiderate to that person. Going AZ for one month and losing 20 points makes sense only to defenders of a bad algorithm who don't see the harm caused to individuals. Oversight often isn't needed for the big picture, it's needed to protect individuals who fall through the cracks of the big picture.

While it is commonly referred to as the "all zero penalty" it is not really a penalty. It is the lack of data that causes the decrease. 

It is hard to do nonlinear math with zeros, i.e. there is no data for the algorithm to determine risk 

Message 8 of 33
iced
Valued Contributor

@909 wrote:

The circle of people who consistently PIF their debts monthly and AZ/AZEO their cards are also usually the same circle of people who aren't going to be impacted by the occasional 20-30 point drop. Going from 830-800 or even 760 doesn't close any doors, so whether the score bounces about 20 points or so in that range is, in the larger picture, irrelevant.

Message 9 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also most people that PIF their statement balances monthly if they are using their cards regularly are rarely ever going to arrive at AZ and incur a score drop. 

Risk assessment when it comes to the Fico algorithms and scorecard assignment is based on groups of people and never an individual.  When looking at large groups of people within the same scorecard / score ranges, you're going to find far more profile similarities than differences.  Yes there are going to be exceptions and cases where an individual profile change and score change may not seem to properly correlate, but when considering groups as a whole it's difficult to knock the way the system works, IMO. 

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.