cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO calculation only go back 7 years on public records?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO calculation only go back 7 years on public records?

I understand that bankruptcies can be reported in credit reports for up to 10 years, however I'll swear that I read somewhere that FICO calculations do not factor in public records (such as BK's) more than 7 years old.

Can anyone confirm how long a bankruptcy will affect a FICO score?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FICO calculation only go back 7 years on public records?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My bankruptcy is scheduled to remain on my report until Aug 2008. When it is removed, will my score increase?
Message 3 of 8
CreditBob
Established Contributor

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/fico/calc.asp?lpid=BKRATE29  go to this site, owned by MYFICO, click on get started. A chapter 7 will affect your score for 10 years. As it gets closer to the 10 year period the impact on the score is less. But do not ever be late bafter a bankruptcy before the public record fails off
Message 4 of 8
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Your score goes up soem during the bankruptcy. It would go up a little more as long as you reestablished a credit card account. But once it falls off it no longer has a bearing on your credit score.
Message 5 of 8
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

In 2000 I had some very serious surgeries which led to ......time off work, behind in bills, tax lien, bankruptcy and divorce.  Pretty well re established since then scores 648 TU,  673  Exp  667 Equifax.  It will be 10 yrs before the lien and BK go away.........who can help me with how to raise my scores in the mean time...pay on time, low balances etc.......

ON a side note, I just sent a letter to 2 of three bureaus to see if they would add in missing info ie, the high limits on accounts that showed none.......will that help/hurt?  Will they even respond?

Thanks in advance,

Roadog
Message 7 of 8
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

roadog wrote:
In 2000 I had some very serious surgeries which led to ......time off work, behind in bills, tax lien, bankruptcy and divorce.  Pretty well re established since then scores 648 TU,  673  Exp  667 Equifax.  It will be 10 yrs before the lien and BK go away.........who can help me with how to raise my scores in the mean time...pay on time, low balances etc.......

ON a side note, I just sent a letter to 2 of three bureaus to see if they would add in missing info ie, the high limits on accounts that showed none.......will that help/hurt?  Will they even respond?

Thanks in advance,

Roadog

Welcome.. Glad to hear your surgery worked out. Have you read the Scoring 101 thread?
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.