cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO vs. FAKO – Share your FAKO stories

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: FICO vs. FAKO – Share your FAKO stories


My EX FICO score is 730, TU FICO 720, CK Vantage shows 667 and 665 from TU and EQ. That 60-70 point difference has held for at least a year while both scores have been generally increasing. I have a long credit history, with some of my cards going back 25 years. No derogs in the past 7 years, about 37% util (33k bal on 90k limit), about 26k of other unsecured debt, and one HP this year, two last year. Obviously it is the huge debt load that is suppressing the score, but I'd like to see Vantage close the gap a bit. We recently got a Citi with a 10k limit and 0% BT on my wife's account and am transfering that amount from my balances to hers. I expect all my scores to rise with that, but won't know for a few weeks or so.

Current Score: Mar 2019: EX FICO8 779, TU FICO8 800, EQ FICO 780, TU Vantage 773, EQ Vantage 786
AoOA: closed: 35 years, open: 24 years; AAoA: 11.8 years; Inquiries: 2019: 2, 2018: 3; No BK ever, 1 30 day late in 2013
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Slate, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 129k
Loans: Prosper (20k/3yrs 7.14%), Lending Club (10k/3yrs 5.89%), Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 331 of 338
New Visitor

Re: FICO vs. FAKO – Share your FAKO stories

@Snowyeggs wrote:
From my experience, credit karma is extremely accurate. It has my Vantage Score 3.0 at 767 and my FICO score 8 from Discover is 766. Both are TransUnion data. The only difference is that Creditkarma updates their scores more frequently. It seems like most people who see the biggest discrepancies are ones who have poor credit. I don't even understand how people get below 700 if you pay on time. I've only had credit for about 6 months.

Just checked mine today and Discover reported 839 while Credit Karma reported 825, so granted it's not a huge difference, but it's not as close as yours is showing. 

Starting Score: 839
Current Score: 839
Goal Score: 850


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 332 of 338
Mega Contributor

Re: FICO vs. FAKO – Share your FAKO stories


@CamaroZ28c wrote:
@Snowyeggs wrote:
From my experience, credit karma is extremely accurate. It has my Vantage Score 3.0 at 767 and my FICO score 8 from Discover is 766. Both are TransUnion data. The only difference is that Creditkarma updates their scores more frequently. It seems like most people who see the biggest discrepancies are ones who have poor credit. I don't even understand how people get below 700 if you pay on time. I've only had credit for about 6 months.

Just checked mine today and Discover reported 839 while Credit Karma reported 825, so granted it's not a huge difference, but it's not as close as yours is showing. 


Yes, there's no real reason for them to be close.   In the same way that the different models of FICO (8, 9, Bankcard, Auto etc) may show small or large differences, CK uses a different model and so will produce a different result.   This happens with FICO: as we know here, if say your TU FICO 8 is great, but your issuer pulls EX FICO 8 (or EX FICO 8 Bankcard etc) and gets a less good number, too bad for you....

 

The reason that here (a site owned by the owners of FICO!) the disparaging term FAKO is used is just because currently most issuers don't primarily use the Vantage score, so it's not important to you in credit making decisions.   But it isn't fake.   It's possible that one day issuers will decide that the score, or some variant of it, is more predictive, or more cost effective than FICO and make the change.

Message 333 of 338
Valued Contributor

Re: FICO vs. FAKO – Share your FAKO stories


@longtimelurker wrote:

@CamaroZ28c wrote:
@Snowyeggs wrote:
From my experience, credit karma is extremely accurate. It has my Vantage Score 3.0 at 767 and my FICO score 8 from Discover is 766. Both are TransUnion data. The only difference is that Creditkarma updates their scores more frequently. It seems like most people who see the biggest discrepancies are ones who have poor credit. I don't even understand how people get below 700 if you pay on time. I've only had credit for about 6 months.

Just checked mine today and Discover reported 839 while Credit Karma reported 825, so granted it's not a huge difference, but it's not as close as yours is showing. 


Yes, there's no real reason for them to be close.   In the same way that the different models of FICO (8, 9, Bankcard, Auto etc) may show small or large differences, CK uses a different model and so will produce a different result.   This happens with FICO: as we know here, if say your TU FICO 8 is great, but your issuer pulls EX FICO 8 (or EX FICO 8 Bankcard etc) and gets a less good number, too bad for you....

 

The reason that here (a site owned by the owners of FICO!) the disparaging term FAKO is used is just because currently most issuers don't primarily use the Vantage score, so it's not important to you in credit making decisions.   But it isn't fake.   It's possible that one day issuers will decide that the score, or some variant of it, is more predictive, or more cost effective than FICO and make the change.


I understand that many apartment management companies use the VantageScores in their leasing decisions. In that context, they are not "FAKO."

 

Credit Karma using VantageScores to tout credit products and to advise consumers on credit decisions, then yes, I agree on the "FAKO" label.



















Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.

Message 334 of 338
Established Contributor

Re: FICO vs. FAKO – Share your FAKO stories


Yes, there's no real reason for them to be close.   In the same way that the different models of FICO (8, 9, Bankcard, Auto etc) may show small or large differences, CK uses a different model and so will produce a different result.   This happens with FICO: as we know here, if say your TU FICO 8 is great, but your issuer pulls EX FICO 8 (or EX FICO 8 Bankcard etc) and gets a less good number, too bad for you....

 

The reason that here (a site owned by the owners of FICO!) the disparaging term FAKO is used  is just because currently most issuers don't primarily use the Vantage score, so it's not important to you in credit making decisions.   But it isn't fake.   It's possible that one day issuers will decide that the score, or some variant of it, is more predictive, or more cost effective than FICO and make the change.


+100

It is just one of 50+ credit score models. 

It is not fake.

FNBO 2% Cashback Visa (20k) / Bank of the West Cashback MC (20k)
US-Bank Cash+ (15k) / FNBO Travel Elite (15k) / Citi Double Cash (18k)
Ficos : 840 / AAoA : 9 yrs / AoOA : 23 Yrs / AoYA : 3
Message 335 of 338
Established Member

Re: FICO vs. FAKO – Share your FAKO stories

1. CK
2. TU 509 EQ 501
3. EX 600 TU 606 TU 597
4. 3 CRA subscription from myFico
5. NFCU goRewards
6. I knew my scores were in the gutter, but many accounts werent being reported as paid. Many of the derogs on the FAKO werent existent in myfico scoring model.


Message 336 of 338
Frequent Contributor

Re: FICO vs. FAKO – Share your FAKO stories


@FlaDude wrote:

My EX FICO score is 730, TU FICO 720, CK Vantage shows 667 and 665 from TU and EQ. That 60-70 point difference has held for at least a year while both scores have been generally increasing. I have a long credit history, with some of my cards going back 25 years. No derogs in the past 7 years, about 37% util (33k bal on 90k limit), about 26k of other unsecured debt, and one HP this year, two last year. Obviously it is the huge debt load that is suppressing the score, but I'd like to see Vantage close the gap a bit. We recently got a Citi with a 10k limit and 0% BT on my wife's account and am transfering that amount from my balances to hers. I expect all my scores to rise with that, but won't know for a few weeks or so.


I have a legitimate 100 point difference in my FICOS vs. Credit Karma scores. It's very frustrating. Right now my EQ/TU are 634/628 -- My CK Vantage has me at a 508/538. I also am holding a few larger balances right now, my FICOS dipped a bit, however my CreditKarma scores just plummeted. They dropped 45 points to the 508/538 range. 

 

I've been rebuilding for two years now and carry the occasional balances. Have a few collections, REPO in my history, but for two years it's been straight on-time payments on everything, including my student loans. 

 

Really bothers me and I hope lenders continue to use FICO, because in my experience, it's the more accurate score and I don't know why my vantage has such a staggering lower number. 


AMEX Gold / Home Depot CC $3K/ Discover IT Chrome $2K SL / PayPal MC $2K /
BOA BankAmericard $2K / BOA Cash Rewards $1000 / Cap One Savor One $1000 / Blaze MC $1500 / Credit One $850 / OpenSky $500 / AvantCard $500 / Discover IT Cash Back (Graduated Secured) $200 CLI to $400 / EBAY MC $300
Jan of 2017 Credit Karma: 404 -SEPT OF 2018: EX 652 EQ 626 TU 604
AUGUST OF 2019 1% UTL - EX 681 EQ 667 TU 659
Total Credit Limit: $16150 -
Goal Score: 675 for all FICOS (ACHIEVED EX)
Message 337 of 338
New Contributor

Re: FICO vs. FAKO – Share your FAKO stories

Ok, so CK has me at EQ: 756 and TU 747. My score for EX on freecreditreport.com is 692

And my score on Discover scorecard is 755.
I want to app for an Amex but have no clue what my true EX score is? And, would a score from 

Myfico be more accurate of an EX score than freecreditreport? Its all so confusing to me! Ive worked 

sooo hard on my report for the past 3 years, starting with a 505 score and now in 700s. Started out 

with that lousy quicksilver that after 3 years, they still dont want to give me a CLI. Which is fine, as I 

have many other cards with amazing limits. But still looking for that true, or pretty close to true EX score

before I ever app with Amex, as I know that is the score they use! I didnt read thru all 34 pages so this may 

have been answered. Thanks for any help! 

Message 338 of 338
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.